Weber starter cubes

Funny, I remember reading last year that Weber was discontinuing the cubes. Either there is a huge surplus to expire or the executives at Weber changed their minds or the rumor was not correct.
Anyway, I am glad I can still get them.

Home Depot is carrying them also...priced similar to Lowe's.
Check your local Ace Hardware, they sometime carry them too.

I've posted this before but I'll re-post it here in case they do end up discontinuing the weber ones...

"Can't say that I've tried the weber starter cubes but just thought that I would add that I use the starter cubes from whole foods and they are around $7 for 72. They are made up of wood and vegetable oil and work great. Light 1 and put your chimney over it and your good to go. I realize whole foods stores aren't as common as lowes but if there's one in your area I highly recommend them."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JustinL:
I've posted this before but I'll re-post it here in case they do end up discontinuing the weber ones...

"Can't say that I've tried the weber starter cubes but just thought that I would add that I use the starter cubes from whole foods and they are around $7 for 72. They are made up of wood and vegetable oil and work great. Light 1 and put your chimney over it and your good to go. I realize whole foods stores aren't as common as lowes but if there's one in your area I highly recommend them." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another way is to make your own if you have a source of sawdust. I used to do alot of woodworking so I always had more of this then I knew what to do with. I used to make fire starters for my fireplace and intend to see how they work with my kettle.

Take an 8" square of tissue paper and place a cup of sawdust in the middle. Bring all of the corners together to form a ball and give it a twist. Use a small length of ribbon or cotton cord to tie it off. Dip the ball into melted parafin up to the cord and allow to dry.

These would work great for the fireplace so I thought I would try them with the grill.

Glad to see they didn't discontinue these, by far my preferred method to light a chimney. I use one regardless if I'm only lighting a handful of briquettes or a full chimney of fuel.

Looks like a trips to Lowes or HD this week
icon_smile.gif

Or just buy a copy of the sunday new york times and you'll have enough newspaper to get you through the rest of the year! If you haven't seen one since none of you live in New York I think it's $2.50 and weighs about 5lbs lol. It should be considered a weapon!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or just buy a copy of the sunday new york times and you'll have enough newspaper to get you through the rest of the year! lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But there is soooo much bad stuff in the news nowadays!
icon_biggrin.gif

Guess this is a loaded question, but how many cubs do you use to light a chiminey? Usually I use 2 sitting on the charcoal grate about 1 in apart. Just wondering if you guys only use one.

I'm cheap, I only use one. If i was lighting a pyramid in the grill maybe I'd feel like I needed two but with the chimney one has done it.

I only use one. Stocked up with several packs at Ace Hardware when they had 10% off sale. Price about $2.50 each.
guy

I have been using only one and thought I would try cutting in half, and it works fine!

Ha, mine are half off the $3.29 at Home Depot! 48 starts at $1.645, now that's a good deal!

No mess and no smell and 100% chance of the chimney lighting the first time! I really like them alot, try em and you will be hooked!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason.yee:
wouldnt it be cheaper to use newspaper?
what are the advantages of using these cubes with a chimney starter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Like glenn, i've had newspaper not work and leave a ton of ash everywhere. I throw a cube under my chimney, hit it with my pocket torch for a second, and I know I'll have fire when I come back. Besides we're talking like $.15 cents to start the fire. I can manage that for the convenience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason.yee:
so.... what are these cubes made of? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just looked at my box and it says nothing .. But, I've heard others say "parifin"...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
No mess and no smell and 100% chance of the chimney lighting the first time! I really like them alot, try em and you will be hooked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the cubes but I have had 2 go out at comps. I blame it on the person with the lighter. All you have to do is make SURE it is going.

I have been useing wax coated cardboard lately. The kind of cardboard that fruit & veggies are shipped in. About a 2"x 4" piece works well and the stuff is free to me. Dont get me wrong, I love the cubes and would advise anyone to use them but if you go to a fruit market I bet 1 free cardboard box would last a summer season.

Back