Weber Spirit Special Edition 4420201

I would be VERY leery of trying to work with a ribeye on full heat. Too much fat. Also it's a cut not far from the Chuck. It benefits from slower cooking to allow more fat melt (without flames) and better breakdown of connective tissue. I typically do my ribeye steaks MOM start to finish, have no issue with a "sear" (unless you're after black lines) which I am not. I go after a nice overall crust. I also cook ribeye just a little more towad medium. I have never had a carnivore say one bad thing about them either

I would be VERY leery of trying to work with a ribeye on full heat. Too much fat. Also it's a cut not far from the Chuck. It benefits from slower cooking to allow more fat melt (without flames) and better breakdown of connective tissue. I typically do my ribeye steaks MOM start to finish, have no issue with a "sear" (unless you're after black lines) which I am not. I go after a nice overall crust. I also cook ribeye just a little more towad medium. I have never had a carnivore say one bad thing about them either
Thanks. Most cooks I looked at had it on high the entire time. I was going to use MOM after the sear, so I will see what happens. We are more medium on done too.

I think you just need the high heat to get the crust initially, then you can back it off a bit and let the meat cook through. On a thick steak, you could easily turn the outside into charcoal before the inside is done if grilling over high heat the whole way.

I think you just need the high heat to get the crust initially, then you can back it off a bit and let the meat cook through. On a thick steak, you could easily turn the outside into charcoal before the inside is done if grilling over high heat the whole way.
My plan is HHH sear each side 1/4 turn. Not sure if I go 2 or 4 minutes per side on sear. Then turn middle off and finish cook on MOM, flipping as close to halfway as I can guess.

I don't see why that wouldn't produce a great steak.
Not a ribeye. I have experimented with ribeyes for years (maybe more than some of the folks here have been alive). And while I can certainly make it impressive to look at using lots of excess heat they're not impressive to eat. Bottom line I want to eat mine. See my original answer to all this. Look at a cow chart and look at where the ribeye comes from and then rethink it.
I wish some of you could cremation types could/would come and taste what I produce. :D

Not a ribeye. I have experimented with ribeyes for years (maybe more than some of the folks here have been alive). And while I can certainly make it impressive to look at using lots of excess heat they're not impressive to eat. Bottom line I want to eat mine. See my original answer to all this. Look at a cow chart and look at where the ribeye comes from and then rethink it.
I wish some of you could cremation types could/would come and taste what I produce. :D
So how long would you say, per side takes on a 1 1/2 boneless ribeye at MOM?

Oh boy I honestly never timed it LOL. But, I think when I do my thick cut steaks they take about 20 min total................maybe. Honetly the only time I use anything approaching high heat is on tenderloin because it's so lean. And I pull them even before rare. I cut them thick and pull them off at about 100 deg. By the time I get them in the house and get plates ready they've rested long enough to be perfectly rare to mid rare

Yah, timing is not the way to cook a steak. It is all about internal temp. A good instant read thermometer will revolutionize your grilling. You can get a good one for about $25 or spend $75 and get a Thermoworks MK4.

Yah, timing is not the way to cook a steak. It is all about internal temp. A good instant read thermometer will revolutionize your grilling. You can get a good one for about $25 or spend $75 and get a Thermoworks MK4.
I have the MK4 and will be using it. Still, I think you have to have an idea of when to flip, and when to start poking.
Most videos I looked at shows people cooking these things on high the entire time, which I didn’t want to do
The high sear then MOM comes from the Weber manual that came with my dads ‘93 Weber. Same burner style so I figured that would be a good start. But if MOM is better all the way, then I will do that.

Weber cookbook says sear high then indirect high. All over the place it seems.

The recipe from a grill book I have says med-high direct heat. Sear lid up 4 minutes per side then lid down for the cook, still direct med/high.

Attachments

• B7D3F21E-21AB-483F-AB56-8CC8DB5DD639.jpeg
    B7D3F21E-21AB-483F-AB56-8CC8DB5DD639.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back