Weber Spirit II vs Silver A (I think)

Bailey Brown

I have recently picked up 2 used grills. Both are functional and 2 burner and perform well.
2 questions -
- Can anyone confirm that the older grill is in fact the Weber Genesis Silver A? The label with the serial number is gone and want to get the correct owners manual.
- Does anyone have experience using both and opinions on which would be the better one to keep? Does one have higher btu's?
The spirit now has burners that go front to back (vs side to side). Curious if that was a cost cutting move of whether some think it produces better results. I'm going to keep one and give the other to my daughter so just looking for feedback on which to hang on to. Both are in great shape (burners, flavorizer bars, box, etc.).
20240218_130952.jpg20240218_131000.jpg20231015_123810.jpg20231015_122205 (1).jpg

I’ve had both grills. The Silver A is low maintenance. No ignition batteries and can be lit easily and safely with a match or stick lighter. The parts are available and reasonably priced with plenty of aftermarket and Weber original parts available. It runs hotter than the Blue Spirit.

Aesthetically, blue Spirit is better looking. It has more grilling surface area. Plenty of parts available. Overly complicated ignition system and the crossburner is long and hard to keep clean and working properly.

Thanks for the feedback. While I haven't used the Silver A yet my gut was that it was a better built grill. Newer isn't necessarily better. While I agree on aesthetics, that is so low on my scale as to be non existent. The ignition and crossburner feedback is far more impactful and I too like my burner handles on the side.. I will do some test runs (and potentially try a side by side). If anything significant jumps out, I will post an update. Thanks again.

I love both these grills, but one consideration is that there are no longer any frame or lid components available from us here at Weber for the Silver A. Everything for the Spirit II E-210 is still available. #IworkforWeber

I love both these grills, but one consideration is that there are no longer any frame or lid components available from us here at Weber for the Silver A. Everything for the Spirit II E-210 is still available. #IworkforWeber
John, thanks for the feedback - and yes, getting an older grill does come with that risk - however since I bought the grill for $32 it is an acceptable risk (and both frame and lid / firebox) are in great shape

Silver A all the way!

This comparison reminds me of a modern John Deere branded lawn tractor from Lowe's vs. a vintage one. If you need something to work for a long time, it's not the age or the name that matters, but the build quality and the parts availability.
Exactly where my gut was leading me. Just seemed to be built better. I had an old 3 burner genesis 20 years ago and gave it to my father in law (he bought me a "new one" which has rusted out and am now replacing). After he passed away the grill went on to others - and I bet it is still going strong.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0659.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 7
Honestly I am partial to the burner layout of the old Webers. But, that aside, after having owned a couple of those little 2 burner Silvers and comparing them to what's being passed off in the stores as a Weber. I would not touch the newer one. Comparing bulid quality between them is like night and day.

I’d do the silver A as well and at $32.00! It’s a steal! Tons of aftermarket parts are out there, they are, in my opinion, a superior piece of equipment. And if you run into trouble, the generous and learned folk here will get you back in the saddle in no time! Rich and Bruce walked me through the (relatively minor) refurbishment of my 1997 maroon Genny and it’s running beautifully! Granted it’s covered right now but, I know I will be able to open up the valves and hit the igniter and I’ll be off to the races!

Can anyone confirm that the older grill is in fact the Weber Genesis Silver A? The label with the serial number is gone and want to get the correct owners manual.
The info label should be under the control panel or on the side that's covered by the plastic end cap on the right side of the grill.

While a lot of the parts are not available as new any longer, many are and ones that are not available any more as new, are always available used. The Silver A grills are getting to an age where they are succumbing to more than just rusted flavorizer bars and cooking grate problems. But there are still a lot of them out there. Most people don't want to deal with fixing a frame or broken shelf or even replacing burners. They just push them to the curb thinking 20 years a pretty good run for the grill. But, they still have lots of good parts on them and hopefully the ones you need for your grill. It's not like we are trying to patch together a '53 Studabaker.

Back