Weber Spirit Classic vs Original

AndyGriff

Weber Spirit Classic vs Original vs Q3200

Hi All,

Newbie, so apologies if this is in the wrong place...

I'm looking at buying a Weber, and potentially the Spirit E-310... this comes in 2 models, the Original and the Classic.
The obvious difference is the grilled front to the enclosure beneath, but it appears from the spec there may be some other differences, although not obvious what these are exactly... possible a different grill?

Can anyone tell me what the actual differences are and which is better?!

(As an aside, I'm torn between one of these and the Q3200 - anyone got any thoughts/experiences on that?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some of those names and models might be specific to certain countries or retailers. Looks like you have different models in the UK.
Looks like the main differences are:

1) Porcelain enamelled cast iron grate (original) versus porcelain coated stamped steel (classic). You want cast iron.

2) Battery powered ignition lighter (original) versus mechanical (classic). Meh.... the battery powered is quieter, the mechanical piezo is probably more reliable (no batteries to go dead). Not a big deal.

3) Front door storage versus the open mesh cover. The door version will make it easier to store some tools and junk in there. Meh... Not a big deal. Personal aesthetics. Get a cover for it.

-----------------

That's it. The cast iron grates are the only functional difference and those are a definite upgrade. Is it cheaper to buy the more expensive model? Or buy the cheaper version and buy a pair of cast iron grates for it as a Weber accessory? I don't want to give you a part number without measuring, but in the US grates like those are $70 (pair). The closest thing I saw at a UK retailer was about 50 pounds (pair).

-----------------

Personally, would buy the Spirit 3 burner over the Q unless portability or price were a huge consideration. The Spirit is large enough to roast a turkey, which would be my definition of an acceptable size grill. I don't think the the Q gives you the volume under the hood for that sort of stuff, although I could be wrong. Considering that you'll use it for years, the Spirit seems like a better all around option.

Some of those names and models might be specific to certain countries or retailers. Looks like you have different models in the UK.
Looks like the main differences are:

1) Porcelain enamelled cast iron grate (original) versus porcelain coated stamped steel (classic). You want cast iron.

2) Battery powered ignition lighter (original) versus mechanical (classic). Meh.... the battery powered is quieter, the mechanical piezo is probably more reliable (no batteries to go dead). Not a big deal.

3) Front door storage versus the open mesh cover. The door version will make it easier to store some tools and junk in there. Meh... Not a big deal. Personal aesthetics. Get a cover for it.

-----------------

That's it. The cast iron grates are the only functional difference and those are a definite upgrade. Is it cheaper to buy the more expensive model? Or buy the cheaper version and buy a pair of cast iron grates for it as a Weber accessory? I don't want to give you a part number without measuring, but in the US grates like those are $70 (pair). The closest thing I saw at a UK retailer was about 50 pounds (pair).

-----------------

Personally, would buy the Spirit 3 burner over the Q unless portability or price were a huge consideration. The Spirit is large enough to roast a turkey, which would be my definition of an acceptable size grill. I don't think the the Q gives you the volume under the hood for that sort of stuff, although I could be wrong. Considering that you'll use it for years, the Spirit seems like a better all around option.

Thanks very much for the in depth response! Sounds like the Original would be the one I want then...

The reason I was considering the Q was cost, but once you've bunked your budget up a bit, it's very easy to think 'well, just a little bit more!'
The other draw is that the Spirit comes with a 25 year guarantee compared to only 5 on the Spirit...

That said, it appears that you can do a turkey on the Q will little trouble - http://www.movietrailers-db.com/4UnIrFreePpFDV0/Roast-Turkey-on-your-Weber®-Qâ¢.html

Is there anything else that I should be aware of between the Q and Spirit to help form my decision, or is it mostly design?? Does the burner layout matter much?

Last edited:
The turkey looks so easy in the video. After roasting turkeys for about 35 years on a Weber 22.5 inch kettle, I can tell from that video that the Q is not big enough. Notice that he did not use a proper roasiing rack or roasting pan to collect juices for gravy (because the lid wouldn't close). The height of the Spirit cover would be a blessing!

There is a huge difference in the whole burner system. The Q essentially uses wide parts of the cooking grate to keep fat from dripping into the burners. It's really a lot like an indoor grill pan. The Spirit uses Weber's tradtiional gas grill arrangement: a cooking grate over triangular "flavorizer bars" that sit just above the burners (below the grate). The flavorizer bars direct fat away from the burners, but as fat and juices hit the red hot flavorizer bars, they sizzle and smoke. That's how you get BBQ flavor from a gas grill. Take away that essential part and you've basically got a gas cooker, but not so much a gas BBQ.

I'm sure they are nice products and work OK, but the me, the Q looks like an big, fancy outdoor version of a George Forman "grill" or like the cast iron grill plate I can put across two burners of my indoor stove (and make a huge mess!). Better than nothing, but not an outdoor grill.

The turkey looks so easy in the video. After roasting turkeys for about 35 years on a Weber 22.5 inch kettle, I can tell from that video that the Q is not big enough. Notice that he did not use a proper roasiing rack or roasting pan to collect juices for gravy (because the lid wouldn't close). The height of the Spirit cover would be a blessing!

There is a huge difference in the whole burner system. The Q essentially uses wide parts of the cooking grate to keep fat from dripping into the burners. It's really a lot like an indoor grill pan. The Spirit uses Weber's tradtiional gas grill arrangement: a cooking grate over triangular "flavorizer bars" that sit just above the burners (below the grate). The flavorizer bars direct fat away from the burners, but as fat and juices hit the red hot flavorizer bars, they sizzle and smoke. That's how you get BBQ flavor from a gas grill. Take away that essential part and you've basically got a gas cooker, but not so much a gas BBQ.

I'm sure they are nice products and work OK, but the me, the Q looks like an big, fancy outdoor version of a George Forman "grill" or like the cast iron grill plate I can put across two burners of my indoor stove (and make a huge mess!). Better than nothing, but not an outdoor grill.

Very good points... I think you've decided it for me (and pushed my budget up by ~£100!!) - but I'm offsetting that in my head with the 25year guarantee, extra burner and overall better (and well tested) product!

Quite the insult you threw there on the Q. They are NOTHING like a Foreman. Until you actually try one against the other you won't know.

Quite the insult you threw there on the Q. They are NOTHING like a Foreman. Until you actually try one against the other you won't know.

Lol - do you think i shouldnt have ruled out the Q so quickly? Do you have experience with one?

I'm this close to ordering the Spirit 310 original...

I have TONS of experience with the "Q" series. I own a 220, and an electric 140. Trust me these are NOT George Foreman grills. They are serious pieces of grilling equipment built as well or better than anything else in the line in the USA. That aside they are not the same thing as a full size grill (like a Genesis) so are not meant for many grill duties like rotisserie, whole roasts and so on. But for steaks, chops, burgers, veggies, chicken, fish and so on they are outstanding devices.

I have TONS of experience with the "Q" series. I own a 220, and an electric 140. Trust me these are NOT George Foreman grills. They are serious pieces of grilling equipment built as well or better than anything else in the line in the USA. That aside they are not the same thing as a full size grill (like a Genesis) so are not meant for many grill duties like rotisserie, whole roasts and so on. But for steaks, chops, burgers, veggies, chicken, fish and so on they are outstanding devices.

To be fair, that's basically what we use our current bbq for... although i do like the idea of cooking a turkey on one!

Out of interest, if someone said you could have a Q3200, or for £100 more, get a spirit e310, which would you choose?

I have to agree I have a Q100 and use it all the time for what LMichaels said. Why fire up a big gasser or large kettle just to cook a couple of burgers or hot dogs if no smoking is involved. It's also a well built little grill.

It really depends on what you expect to use it for. Frankly the Q3200 (any 3 series Q for that matter) I have never actually seen in the flesh. But I would think the Spirit would be a little more versatile. Thanks to the taller lid you'd be able to do some different things like roast a whole bird. But even than I have not seen the Spirit (the new one) either. So I don't have a lot to go on.

If you are thinking of getting the one with the mesh front do what I did. Take the mesh front off in the store. Then put it back on. Now think of doing this every freaking time you want to shut off the gas. I got one of last years with the CI grates and the door. Just something to think about.

The Spirit is functionally about the same size as a 22 inch charcoal kettle. Maybe a little bigger, but in the same general ballpark. The 3-burner Spirit should be more than up to the task of cooking anything you would want: grilling, indirect roasting, etc.

You guys are making my "George Forman" point for me. I realize that a Weber Q is a much better version, but it is still primarily for direct heat grilling. Conceptually, it's a gas fired grill pan with slots for the fats to drip away. I think the Spirit would do more things well. The three-burner version probably gets hotter than a Q.

"Conceptually, it's a gas fired grill pan with slots for the fats to drip away"

Actually no it is not. It performs and cooks so much differently than that. It actually is much more versatile than that. There is a guy on this www.bbqsource-forums.com forum you may look in to for his "Q" blog. Totally amazing what he accomplishes with it. Read it and you'll change your lowly opinion of the product. I have done some of the stuff on both my gas and electric Q grills. I really don't bother much since I have so many high end grills at my disposal though (Wolf 6 burner, Summit 450, 2 Broilmaster P3 grills) so I really don't have a "need" to experiment the way the poster on "the source" forums does. I did it more for fun to see what the grill can accomplish.
Either way trust me on this it is NOT a gas fired grill pan with slots. It is an honest to goodness gas grill that performs for all intents and purposes just like Weber's larger offerings. Truly it's only "limitation" is size and height of the hood. I think Weber even offers a rotisserie kit for the 300 series in Australia (have a look at the Q forum here for info and pics). Anyway just try that with a glorified grill pan.
Either way the "Q" is NOT the lowly creature you ascribe.

"Conceptually, it's a gas fired grill pan with slots for the fats to drip away"

Actually no it is not. It performs and cooks so much differently than that. It actually is much more versatile than that. There is a guy on this www.bbqsource-forums.com forum you may look in to for his "Q" blog. Totally amazing what he accomplishes with it. Read it and you'll change your lowly opinion of the product. I have done some of the stuff on both my gas and electric Q grills. I really don't bother much since I have so many high end grills at my disposal though (Wolf 6 burner, Summit 450, 2 Broilmaster P3 grills) so I really don't have a "need" to experiment the way the poster on "the source" forums does. I did it more for fun to see what the grill can accomplish.
Either way trust me on this it is NOT a gas fired grill pan with slots. It is an honest to goodness gas grill that performs for all intents and purposes just like Weber's larger offerings. Truly it's only "limitation" is size and height of the hood. I think Weber even offers a rotisserie kit for the 300 series in Australia (have a look at the Q forum here for info and pics). Anyway just try that with a glorified grill pan.
Either way the "Q" is NOT the lowly creature you ascribe.

I've been trying to find that guys Q blog but cant find it - do you have a direct link?
I'm about to pull the trigger on the E310, but still wonder if the Q may do enough for me...

Thanks.

It looks good... I do like the design of them too. However, I think the 25 year guarantee is winning me over on the e310... (plus the ability to add a rotiserie later...)

No doubt it's the more versatile of the two products. I was just taken back by how your description kind of denigrated it as "just a ..........." instead of a quality piece of cooking equipment (albeit rather singular in purpose) but; VERY good at that purpose. Really IMO though if you want truly quality rotisserie find yourself one of the old style grills with the old style (EW) burner layout.

not my description, but yeah, may have been a bit harsh. I still think it looks like a lovely grill - i like the design and the price.

That being said, the harsh comments did however help put things in perspective in my head, so they are appreciated!

Button pushed. I have ordered the e310 Original :)

Can anyone tell me, is there anything 'special' about the official weber covers, or is a standard unbranded one just as good?
Also, what is the best way to care for the enamelled cast iron grill? Was planning to get a decent brush, is brass or steel best? Or neither?

Back