Weber Smokey Mountain vs. Brinkman Charcoal Smoker

I bought my WSM based on the Weber reputation. I have been using Weber Kettles for years and have always been pleased w/ the results. Before I bought my WSM, I looked at this group and the postings about the Brinkman vs the WSM-no comparison. I have to agree that you get what you pay for.

Scott, I would think that by now, you have your answer! Let me just add one more reason! My husband and I bought our WSM in the summer of 2004. We were complete novices, other than the fact that we used a regular Weber kettle for all our grilling and had smoked some ribs on there before. Our very first cook turned out great ribs. Every cook we've done has turned out great food. Sometimes, it's STELLAR food, but it's ALWAYS better than a restaurant. My pork blows away everybody in town. If you just do a little homework - read this board, get a book or two, and just learn the basics - the WSM will make you a very happy boy. Let's not even talk about what your neighbors and friends will think. We are without a doubt the BBQ masters amongst our circle of friends. We get more people inviting themselves over for brisket and pulled pork than we can handle! Trust us all on this one. You will not regret it.

Melissa

I have been through quite a few BBQs so I will share my opinion of each. Got a Weber Genisis for a wedding present about 20 years ago and that started me out on this whole BBQ trek. I got pretty good at using it too, it kicks out a good deal of heat, flair ups were minimal, I found the weakness that the burner was very fragile, even though it was stainless the material was then and it would get brittle from heat after 5 or 6 years and finally crack, the holes in the burner also tended to clog, I guess a little maintainence coulda helped out. Other then that, best gasser I have owned to date. The Smokey Joe, had it several years, can't be beat for picnics, grillin' for just the family or when you need to take the show on the road. I decided it was time to move on to "low and slow" BBQ, so I bought the brinkmann. I had a few good meals off of it, but keeping the temp constant was virtually impossible, it was so much of a hassle that I sold it at a yard sale months later. Luhr-Jennsens electric smoker worked will for jerky and smoked salmon, hadn't used it for much more. The New-brunnsfeild smoker/grill, was a total waste of money, I know there are folks that have modified the crap out of them and have had good results though, I found the biggest problem here was that the firebox had more leaks then a seive. You could load up your box and you would burn through your fuel in record time and your grill temp would be way to hot, and that was with it all the way closed down. I even tried to plug all the leaks. I am sure if I would have had a weilder I could have made some modification to make it work. In its stock form, it sucks. The Great Outdoors' Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker gave me the temperature control I craved and gave me very good, but not great BBQ. I got a new gas grill for fathers day last year, it was a Jenn-air, the $900 model, I find that I can't get my lid temps over about 400 degrees, and I would much rather use the beat up old weber Genisis. But the wife spent a lot of time and money picking this thing out, so I begrudgingly use it, smile and wave to the wife as I am out on the back patio grilling and mumbling to myself.
Now I had seen this site on the net ages ago and I thought the WSM was similar in design the ECB. I was extremely hesitant to throw $200 at a BBQ when I had a BBQ that was in my mind quite similar. About a month ago I checked back in on this site and people were still raving about the WSM. I had a little extra cash, so I picked one up. Let me tell you that from the very first time I used it the BBQ has been outstanding, and it just keeps getting better. I should have known better then to doubt Weber. This is my best BBQ purchase to date, and as you can see I have had a few. Don't have to fuss at all with the fire, just set the temp, let it stabilize and you will have excellent results. I check back on the fire every few hours but the temp does not tend to change a whole lot. Just did a 16 hour briskett on one load of kingsford. I am loving it.

Definitely go with the Weber. I used my neighbor's Brinkman once before I got the Weber.

With the Brinkman you get these design faults

1) Can't control the temp
2) Grill rack prone to falling in water pan
3) Need to refuel at 5 hour mark

With the Weber you can cook 12-16 hours or more (depending on weather) without refueling. The money you'll save on fuel over a couple years will make up for the upfront cost.

Ya know Joe, if ya use your WSM enough, it should take less than a few years for making up price in fuel consumption. Best little cooker ever.....

Big Al

Don't have the Brinkmann. After owning the WSM, I will never want to try any other...No contest as far as I am concerned....have had too much good luck with the WSM!

Well I came in late on this discussion but I just have to add my two bits. I started out smoking on my husbands Brinkman. It drove me nuts to have to constantly refuel and I had the hardest time trying to get the temps consistent. Might be ok for chicken but nothing else. I then tried his New Braunsfel smoker and that was harder to control with the need to stay up all night to feed it charcoal.

Some of my Four Q BBQ friends advised that I get the WSM and I am now a happy camper. The temp control, the savings in fuel and you can cook a brisket and pork butt and still get a good night sleep.

Back