Weber SJ-100, anyone have any info????

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe stephens

TVWBB Member
I just purchased on Ebay a new old stock still in the box Weber SJ-100. I am not even sure of the size of the grill. I did get a few pics sent to me but the woman who is selling it hasn't a clue about grills. This is a more or less estate sell she is doing for her Aunt. Anyone have any Ideas about this grill let me know....Joe

I found a couple of barbecue-related patent applications that refer to Popular Science, Jun. 1958, Weber SJ-100 Item as an additional reference. Anyone have a stack of seriously old magazines?

Edit: Looks like Justin did too, and faster.

Thats how we roll in Mass.
icon_smile.gif

I have some pics of the grill & box. I am just not sure how to post them here???.

I called Weber today and they need a serial #... I think it shipped today or it's going out tomorrow,either way I'm looking forward to seeing just what I have.

I bought this thinking it was just an older 18.5 and I was going to convert it with a Pro Q stacker and make a smoker for my Daughter who just came back from Iraq and ate some of Dad's Baby Back Ribs while she was home on leave and decided She was going to get a smoker.

If this turns out to be some kind of Antique or something I may just fix her up with a Pro Q excell 20 instead. Heck I been looking for a good reason to get a 22.5 WSM and I just might be able to sell this Antique thing to the wife enough to pull the trigger on one without leading the sex life of a monk for the next 3 months .

I'll work on those pics and thanks for the input...Joe

I see that I am going to need Admin to enhance my personal options before I can get pic posted. How do I go about contacting someone for that?

I just checked my late 60's weber catalog. It has the SJ-100 listed as a 13" smoky joe - very cool looking one with the offset handle - offered alone or along with the bk-100, which is a black 22" kettle.

BTW- if that thing is brand new you might want to consider seeing what Weber might offer you for it. I know of a particular person that had in their possession a "new old stock" 26" red kettle from the late 60's - Weber wound up giving them a brand new Summit in trade for it. You might not get a summit, but I'm guessing they'd probably offer you something.

Allen, thanks so much for the info. I bet you are right on the money because it does appear to have offset handle.

I just recieved an email from the seller the grill is on the way from Chitown to Northern Indiana shouldn't be long

Thanks also for the heads up on the Weber thing I can see me working a deal. Like in the movie Devils Advocate when Reeves asked "are we negotiating here?" and Pacino answers "always"

Joe

Must be this, huh? Box says Arlington Heights, so it must be roughly prior to 1980, but judging by the hand holding the box, it is a Smokey Joe.

And, being that nice (like new packaging and NIB product), surely Weber will probably be interested, and may offer to swap a new WSM for it.

I recieved the grill today. It is a Smokey Joe , with 3 vents in the bottom and 1 in the lid. It has a wooden handle and a very simple but efficient short tripod leg setup that is connected in the center and is threaded on the other end of each leg which pertrudes through the bowl and is held in place by wing nuts...Man I wish I had Picture capability from the Admin.

It is a little deeper Kettle bottom than the current SJ. I called Weber and they could not pin point a date of manufacturing but from the looks of the family on the front of the cookbook I would guess somewhere in the late 60's to 70's and I did find out that 79 was the first year of vent stamps. No letter designation on the Vents and no Weber insignia of any kind other than the Box Cookbook/owners manual.

Joe

Joe: Since we're all interested, maybe try posting pictures to a photo site (photobucket, picasa, flickr, etc), then linking to them from here.

Looks like an original Smokey Joe - with the three bottom vents. I have one still in the box. I am waiting to assemble it until Chris at Cajun Bandit produces a CB midsection modification for the Smokey Joe so I'll have the equivalent of a 14" WSM!

Pat

Thanks Pat, Yes I believe this is a SJ original model. It was in the box when I bought it on Enay. The leg setup is unique, I agree though a center would be SWEET on this grill.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back