Weber rotisserie motor gears

MSethkua

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the internal motor plastic gear from an older rotisserie motor. I don’t know if they are one piece or 2. Any help is appreciated.

The only times I've ever taken a motor apart was under duress (dinner ready to go on the grill) so I've never paused to take pictures, and I imagine they might all be different. Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the area in question?

IIRC they're supposed to be one piece. A few years ago I had to fix my motor when one of the gears broke loose of its collar, and I used a small metal clip to hold the gear in place.

This is the gear. The top lighter piece doesn’t appear to be a part of it at one time but it would make sense if it would have been. Also, where does the little metal washer go?

That metal washer is a thrust washer and it goes on the armature, and if memory serves it goes on the end with the gear. I'm not sure what you mean by top lighter piece. It seems that there is something missing...from the picture, there is no transmission once it gets past the first gear reduction.

What happened right before it quit? Was there any plastic gear teeth that you cleaned out?

EDIT: And if I understand your original question correctly, yes, they should be one piece, big gear+little gear, otherwise no power transmission. The picture doesn't show the gear reduction area too well...is there a metal idler gear below the plastic gear. I can't tell.

Last edited:
The lighter piece I am referring to is the plastic washer on top of the plastic gear. I originally thought it was broken off of the gear but it is clearly not part of the gear. Yes there is a metal gear below the plastic one.
therotisserie still works but last time I used it, second time ever, I had a turkey on it and it would spin a little then seem to get hung up and not turn. Weber said it should be able to handle a bird up to 20 lbs.

The lighter piece I am referring to is the plastic washer on top of the plastic gear. I originally thought it was broken off of the gear but it is clearly not part of the gear. Yes there is a metal gear below the plastic one.
therotisserie still works but last time I used it, second time ever, I had a turkey on it and it would spin a little then seem to get hung up and not turn. Weber said it should be able to handle a bird up to 20 lbs.

I didn’t clean any parts out and the plastic gear appears to be in good shape.

I'm pretty sure this is what I dealt with. After the collar/shank separated from the main gear it would ride up and lose contact with its mate, and the output shaft would stop turning. I repositioned the gears so they'd work, added the clip to keep the white gear and its broken part in place, greased the jiminy christmas out of the works and put it all back together. I use my rotiss only a couple of times a year and so far so good, but I expect to have to eventually replace the motor.

Those shaded pole motors don't have a lot of starting torque, so make sure the armature turns freely before you put it back together. Did you clean all the grease out of it? From what I remember, there isn't a lot of grease in there, but there is some...friction/sticktion is the enemy on these little motors.

Yes I cleaned everything and put a drip of new silicone on it. It seems to turn fine the proof will be running it.

Back