Weber recommendations?

MattP

TVWBB Super Fan
Since I have been loving my WSM, I have been thinking that maybe I would like to add a Weber charcoal grill to my repertoire. Any recommendations?

Usually I will be grilling for just two. Don't really need something super portable, other than getting it from my garage to where I'll be grilling (driveway, patio if we put one in this summer). Since I have the WSM 18.5", don't see myself utilizing a potential grill as a smoker.

Funny, in a way I feel like this is sort of returning to my roots. My folks had an old Smokey Joe, which is where I first experimented with grilling. I can remember being in 7th grade, and during the summer when I was home from school and they were both at work, they'd let me fire it up to grill hot dogs for lunch. Made my first attempt at BBQ chicken on that thing, too-- was either a freshman or sophomore in high school, my little brother and I were on our own for a night, and I got that Smokey Joe going, throwing down some chicken breasts covered in BBQ sauce.

Being a life-long gasser, I first got the WSM. Wanted to continue with the world of charcoal, I started with the One Touch Gold. I wanted the gold over the silver because of the ash bucket over the ash pan. Blowing embers & ash don't appeal to me. I soon realized having the side table of a Performer is worth it's weight in gold. I scoured Craigslist for a while and picked up a 2011 blue gas assist Performer for $150. I can't imagine going smaller than the 22.5" and see the 26.75" in my future.

If I had to pick one to go along with my wsm, it's the Performer.

I really love my Performer, the gas assist is great, but the Platinum is an awesome grill too, the key for me though is the dumpable ash catcher like Chad said, makes cleaning up so much easier.

if you don't have to deal with much wind then i would suggest the 18.5 kettle. i have a lot of 22's and have used them for a long time. but i used the 18 for a smallish cook and was more than surprised how it cooked. for really small cooks you can't go wrong with a charcoal go-anywhere. all can be found on cl.

I agree with Russell y.... I am contemplating a charcoal grill as well.. Used the WSM this weekend for first time as a grill and loved it... Just not sure if I will consistently use charcoal enough to justify cost ... Usually I have just enough time to use da ole gasser...I plan on continuing to use WSM as a grill for a lil while longer this spring/summer and figure it out later...

I like the one-touch gold series because of the ash disposal. If you don't want to go that route, you could give the smokey joe a try to see if it's large enough. At worst you'd be out about $30 and have a good traveling and secondary grill.

You don't want to waste your money on something larger than the WSJ, but my experience has been that my wife's folks show up around dinner alot more often than they did before I got my Weber.

MattP;
I was given an 18.5" OTS and quickly realized that charcoal was definitely the way to go. However, I also realized that I would be happier with a 22.5". I bought the OTG. I made a mistake. I needed a work table attached to the grill. By the time I added the table and side baskets, I had about as much into it as a Performer would cost and still didn't have a Performer.

If I had it to do all over again, it DEFINITELY would be a 22.5" Performer. The Performer and the 18.5 WSM make an awesome pair!

FWIW
Dale53

I started with the 22.5 OTS. I have sine bought the upgraded ash pan from Amazon. I would probably go with the OTG just for the lid thermo alone.

Go with a 22" for sure. It has the most accesories as well as available in the Performer or possible on clear out, the OTP with side tables. You won't regret either. Both have the ash catcher and thermometer.

Hi Matt. Another vote for the gas assist Weber Performer. I is everything that you are looking for and more. If you stay patient you can pick one up in a very good shape from CL for $100-$140 (any if you are very lucky and quick maybe one as low as $50.00). As I mentioned earlier this week, it is my 'go to' grill.

Thanks for the feedback, all. Performer was the one that jumped out to me, so I enjoy hearing all the people that like it. I can see that I would be very happy with the table.

Will keep my eyes open for a good deal, otherwise there's always my birthday later this summer. :cool:

Matt, check the new performer silver with the folding metal table.
You might like this newer model.

Back