Weber Q low flame troubleshooting

Thanks for the responses! I’ll try the thermometer tomorrow to see the difference in temp. Thanks @Bruce

Good to note it might not always be visible differences that are super clear.

@Ed Pinnell tha is for the advice! Truthfully I don’t have a 1lb bottle and come to think of it might not even have the adapter to use them! I got this grill for free off the road so I’ll have to check on things and see! Thanks for the idea!

As always, thanks everyone!

Adapter? You don't need an adapter.

AH, the early Q's (like yours and mine) used a 14oz. propane bottle and had a ring to support the bottle.

14oz.jpg

It screws into the regulator here and is supported by the ring:

Bottle.png

Later Qs used a sheetmetal bracket that was attached to the back of the regulator to support both the regulator and the weight of the bottle hanging off of it. It was able to take advantage of the larger 1lb. propane bottles which would not fit the support ring on the earlier models. You can still used the fatter bottles on the early Qs if you take the support ring off.

reg bracket.jpg

1lb.jpg

All that to say, take the hose off and screw a bottle on and test it. I screwed a bottle on the original setup and voila! But unfortunately I did it *last* after doing a bunch of other stuff that didn't help. 😡

At least I know now that the problem was operator error and not mechanical. I think that is what Bruce was saying to do earlier.

Last edited:
I have picked up a couple dozen Q's over the past few years with the same problem. Either replace the regulator or purge the moisture out. Sometimes i just remove the regulator and orfice and connect to a tank and flow gas. (Not safest way) and do this a few times till moisture stops coming out. Works most times. Sometimes need to just replace regulator. I have also changed orfices to allow more gas for a higher flame.

AH there is absolutely nothin wrong with your grill. It is working exactly how those work. The nature of the Q (all of them) is there is not a very visible flame difference from low to high. It's how they work.

Back