Weber Q low flame troubleshooting

AHymel

TVWBB Fan
Snagged a Weber Q for free recently. After a new burner tube, I’m still getting low flame regardless of what I do with the level knob.

I don’t mind slow-cooking and have still loved using the Q, but seeing the flames stay at the same height regardless of what I do with the adjustment is a bit of bummer.

Anyone else want to offer some possible issues I can explore?

Q grills are notorious for problems with the regulators.
What model of Q grill do you have?
Are you running it off the disposable 1lb bottles?

It’s a Q200.

I’m using a full 20 lb tank. They tossed it out with the adapter already on it so it hooked right up!

If you're running it only on a 20lb tank I would ditch the troublesome regulator on the 200 and go with the conversion Bruce has outlined here on the forum

Always appreciate your insight, Bruce. That said. I don’t have a 1lb tank and I’d rather not head that direction. Is that for testing purposes or a long term solution?

I’ll poke around for Bruce’s regulator post

Yes, that is just a test. If it works with the 1lb bottle then that would mean the grill and regulator are fine. If you still have problems with the 1lb bottle, then that would indicate you have a problem with the regulator on the grill or some kind of restriction in the valve or burner.
The problem with the adapter hose is that it takes a lot of gas for that to fill up before getting to the grill. When you open the tank, that empty hose filling up can be sensed as a gas leak by the tank OPD valve and it will shut down fuel flow.

Of course, if convert the grill with a new regular hose with regulator built in, the regulator is right at the tank and much less prone to locking up when opening the tank.

You can also try resetting the tank by closing the valve, then disconnecting it from the hose, let it set a few minutes, then make sure the valve on the grill is closed, reconnect the hose, slooooowwwwwllly open the tank. Then open the valve and light the grill.

Yes, that is just a test. If it works with the 1lb bottle then that would mean the grill and regulator are fine. If you still have problems with the 1lb bottle, then that would indicate you have a problem with the regulator on the grill or some kind of restriction in the valve or burner.
The problem with the adapter hose is that it takes a lot of gas for that to fill up before getting to the grill. When you open the tank, that empty hose filling up can be sensed as a gas leak by the tank OPD valve and it will shut down fuel flow.

Of course, if convert the grill with a new regular hose with regulator built in, the regulator is right at the tank and much less prone to locking up when opening the tank.

You can also try resetting the tank by closing the valve, then disconnecting it from the hose, let it set a few minutes, then make sure the valve on the grill is closed, reconnect the hose, slooooowwwwwllly open the tank. Then open the valve and light the grill.

As always, thanks, Bruce! Gonna try some of this but might just update it as you described in your post. With a free grill, I’m inclined to get something that will last!

@Bruce

I snagged the parts you suggested (the combo valve that someone mentioned in your post) and the hose you suggested too. Ready for action.

I tried to “reset” it the way you described with the slow turn to not overwhelm the regulator but still have low flame throughout. It’s a brand new burner tube too so I’m sure it’s just a bad hose/regulator.

My wuestion is one that I probably should have asked before buying this stuff, but what exactly can I take off to add the new pieces? The old piece doesn’t seem like it can be rotated because of the plastic knob that controls flame height. Am I missing something?
ADADCE74-5E59-416D-B5D8-7140090534F0.jpeg
For context, I imagine I take off that whole piece where it connects to the perpendicular T, but I just wanted to double check.
Hope all is well!

Here is a how to on the process.

On a side note, if you use a 1/8" NPT Female to 3/8" flare male connector, you only need that and don't need the extra adapter that I used in the "how to". You just need this single piece:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E5CN9E/?tag=tvwb-20

Basically, you remove everything from where the arrow is. Then you will have a male 1/8" NPT to put the adapter listed just above on. THen a standard hose and regulator will fit on that.
regulator.jpg

Here is a how to on the process.

On a side note, if you use a 1/8" NPT Female to 3/8" flare male connector, you only need that and don't need the extra adapter that I used in the "how to". You just need this single piece:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E5CN9E/?tag=tvwb-20

Basically, you remove everything from where the arrow is. Then you will have a male 1/8" NPT to put the adapter listed just above on. THen a standard hose and regulator will fit on that.
View attachment 21606
Right, that was the guide I followed and I bought the 1/8 to 3/8 adapter to make it a bit easier. My stupid question is how do I get that off? I can’t seem to rotate it where the arrow is because the pieces around it. Maybe I just to not be so gentle?
I’ll give it another look tomorrow. Thanks again!

You may have to remove the valve itself from the grill if the regulator doesn't spin freely.

Also be sure to put PTFE dope made for gas connections on all the NPT threads but NOT the 3/8" flare fitting

Well I replaced the hose and connection valve as described and I’m still not seeing a big difference between low and high temp settings. I took pics of it on low and high, but truthfully can’t even tell a difference in them. See below. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. It’s a new burner tube, new hose (with regulator) and new connection. Figured I would be getting visible differences.
I’m stumped.
762B60C6-920C-46EF-97DF-5D5A66E4E49E.jpeg
BA803A03-73FB-4C15-A407-91EC8107DC11.jpeg

To add to what I did above, I also followed instructions for lighting and very slowly opened tank as to not flood regulator

Do this. Turn the grill off and let it cool down. Then turn it on high and let it max out the temp...probably 15 minutes or so and record the temp. Then turn it off and let it cool again, then turn it on LOW and let it max out and record the temp. There should be probably about 200 degrees difference.

AH, without going into a long boring story, I have had a lot of trouble with the OPD in the 20lb tank on Q grills. I tried everything I could think of. Finally, in frustration, I put a 1lb propane bottle on it and it worked fine! It sure made me a believer.

You never said whether you tried a 1lb. propane bottle like Bruce suggested...did you try that?

And I do think your flames look low...here is what they look like on my Q120. In fairness, though, I think the Q120 runs hotter than the Q200.

Attachments

• 20200915_225523.jpg
    20200915_225523.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses! I’ll try the thermometer tomorrow to see the difference in temp. Thanks @Bruce

Good to note it might not always be visible differences that are super clear.

@Ed Pinnell tha is for the advice! Truthfully I don’t have a 1lb bottle and come to think of it might not even have the adapter to use them! I got this grill for free off the road so I’ll have to check on things and see! Thanks for the idea!

As always, thanks everyone!

My Q200 was having problems with the regulator freezing up in temps much below freezing. I replaced it and the hose with a new one. My grill is a scortcher now. I used to struggle to hit much over 400 on high before. Now it zips right up to 600. Even on low, it still bottoms out around 400. No low and slow for me any more, but I just use the Q for quick burgers steaks and stuff like that. I have the Genesis 1000 for everything else.

Back