Weber Q (but not a 3200) on NG?

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Is there any way to get a Weber Q on natural gas? I could go buy a 3200, but I do not want the stand (and would rather spend less $$ too).

I have a natural gas outlet just screaming to be used, and already have a table space I could drop any of the other models on. Thoughts?

That is a good question. It seems weber does sell a NG version of the Q3200. However, I have never seen one before. Since they are so economical on gas usage, I imagine there is little demand for the NG version. Without buying one already set up for NG, I have no idea if or how they could be converted over safely and effecitively other than robbing parts from another NG Q3200. I am looking forward to other responses on this.

If the Q only had one temperature, no problem. The problem is in the valving. Here's a complete NG manifold assy. for the Q3xxx. IDK if there is a NG valve assy. available for the other Q models...one key feature of the other Q models is portability so that will likely kill the NG availability.

Last edited:
The Q3xxx is not available without cart as Weber markets it with the cart as an integral part. As for NG I may actually try to find another one for my deck and convert one of them to NG. If that happens I will post how to do it CORRECTLY if I deem it possible. It honestly does not look like it would be difficult but I am not committing one way or the other

Thanks for the replies all...that NG manifold certainly has me wondering if it would fit in the other models for sure....thanks for that idea @Ed Pinnell

Grant: It does seem the NG manifold will fit the other version of the Q3xx grills. However, I am sure it will not work on a Q2xx or Q1xx if that is what you are asking. They only have a single burner and thus single valve.

"Natural Gas" Manifold Assembly, Weber Q300/320 and Q3200"​

Is there a reason why you explicitly don't want a Q3xx? It's the only Q that isn't designed with portability as the main function. Being designed to be stationary, the Q3xxt has a stand that is much sturdier than a folding stand. It has a 2-burner system where the other Q's are designed with a single loop burner for economical operation off of a 1lb. propane bottle.

Why not a Q3xx?

So, it comes down to wanting a NG grill (not propane) as we have a small deck with no room for another grill with a stand....but I have a table-top with a spot that would be perfect. There is a NG line right there so the added convenience (and not needing the propane tank there either) would be 100% perfect.

The only NG grill I see on the Weber Canada site is the 3200NG, which seems to have the stand....(and is a bit pricey).

So, in the end, I was HOPING to pick up a used Q of some model that could be converted to NG.

So, it comes down to wanting a NG grill (not propane) as we have a small deck with no room for another grill with a stand....but I have a table-top with a spot that would be perfect. There is a NG line right there so the added convenience (and not needing the propane tank there either) would be 100% perfect.

The only NG grill I see on the Weber Canada site is the 3200NG, which seems to have the stand....(and is a bit pricey).

So, in the end, I was HOPING to pick up a used Q of some model that could be converted to NG.
And that's where things start to go sideways. Something seemingly so simple as a gas conversion turns out to be not so simple if it's not supported by the manufacturer.

There has been a lot written about conversions over the past 10 or more years here at TVWBB so there is no lack of reading material, and Chris has even written an excellent How-To on the subject. There are YT videos on the subject as well. I wish you well on your journey, but we have reached the extent of my knowledge!

Grant, on a side note, if you are cramped on space, consider designing a shelf attached to the outside of the deck railing. I have it that way on my deck, that way the grill actually takes up NO room on the deck. If you go that route, I think a Q2000 or Q2200 with an adapter or full conversion to a 20 lb LP tank is a good solution for you. The Q2xx grills use very little gas and you won't be refilling very often anyway.....that is unless you leave it on over night or something like that.

20211021_122748.jpg

I haven't done that yet Larry. I have contemplated attaching some small pieces of wood for the legs to fit into so it can't slide around at all.

I haven't done that yet Larry. I have contemplated attaching some small pieces of wood for the legs to fit into so it can't slide around at all.
I just picked up a Q300 for $50 for my daughter. I took it off the cart to make it easier to get it into the trunk of the car. The way that it attaches to the cart would make it very easy to screw down to a platform like Bruce has...then all a you'd need is the NG manifold and you'd be grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars.

Last edited:
Much as it pains me, I might have to go to the dark side for it...

I really think you will be saving yourself a headache by buying something designed for and intended for NG if that's where you want to go. That TravelQ that you linked has a lot going for it! Apart from that, some members have reported problems when their supplied NG gas pressure varied from what the grill requires, just something to be aware of with NG. LPG seems to be more universally accepted and NG grills are slower to sell, both new and used. Can't beat the convenience of NG, though!

Back