Weber portable 220 silver

Phil,

I did use a combo of EVOO and butter. I also had the fish at room temperature and they were filets and not steaks so they were actually fairly thin.

I'm thinking the mass of a cast iron pan along with the factory cast iron grate is just too much for the BTUs of the grill. I'd be interested to know how your blackened fish comes out on the Weber griddle. If it works out, then I'll probably drop more $$ on another accessory!

Ron
I did the fish tonight - It turned out great. Though it was not as crispy as I have achieved on a big gasser with full heat.
I did it exactly as planned above and used my timer to do it for 2 minutes per side. It remained moist, with the crust a little soft. If you just wiped the griddle with a smear of butter and did filets that were a little thicker for 2 1/2 minutes per side. it would probably crisp up a little more.
However, the fish was to my liking as I like mine moist and not overcooked. The butter gave it a great glaze and the sprinkle of Piri Piri that I used gave it the perfect blend of spice. The cajun rub that I used was a commercial one by Masterfoods.

My honest opinion, If you want crispy blackened fish then best to do them in something that will produce a higher heat such as the Q 300. As much as I love my Q 200 and use it most days it just doesn't do everything.

I have a photo but unfortunately Ican't work out how to post it. I don't think I have the permissions. Chris if you could check and let me know I would be grateful

Regards

Thanks Phil! I guess it I'll have to pick up a gas ring for these occasions. Thanksgiving is coming up so a turkey fryer and gas ring might be on their way soon!

Ron
Try doing it on the D6 - they can crank up some heat on high. Well over 600 on high, they work a treat - also great for planking.

Regards

Phil,

I do go over 700 degrees on the D6. I also don't have to worry about setting off every smoke alarm in the house when making the salmon. However, I used the Q since I was cooking at my friend's office (parking lot.)

Back