Weber portable 220 silver

Kim Petersson

TVWBB Member
I want to buy a new portable propane grill. Any suggestions out there.? I am tired of poor performing portables. I am looking at the Weber Q 220 silver portable gas grill. Any thoughts?

I also looked at the Weber 200. It is a little higher and has a thermometer. I do not know if I need a thermometer or not as they are usually unreliable and I have temp probes anyway. Not to sure if the hieght differance will be much of an advantage or not. Either one would be too low for a beer can chicken and I usually only feed four so if I cook a roast it would be a small one. There is only $20.00 differance between the two so money is not a factor.

Kim,

My thoughts exactly, although I settled for a Baby Q. You may want to try bidding on ebay, if the shipping to Canada isn't too much.

Jim

Kim

Without a doubt the Weber Q range – (100 & 200 series) are the best portable propane BBQs on the market globally. They are extremely versatile and rugged construction. Don't let cost influence the decision.

The selection of which one is right for you will depend on several factors, but predominately these are the considerations.
Available room to transport, will you also be using the rolling cart.
How many people will you cook for?
What will you be cooking?
Where will you be cooking, do you need side tables.
The side tables on the new Q 120 give it added versatility that it lacked before. It can cook comfortably for 4 - 6 people but with a little planning can do 8-10. You don't need the rolling cart it can be placed on a table and used. it is small and light weight. The aluminium construction dissipates the heat reasonably quickly after use (especially with the lid left open, which means it can be quickly packed away. You can cook small joints of meat indirectly if you use the roasting trivet. The lid height restricts the size of the joints.
The Q 200 features the same but has a larger cooking surface and increased lid height. it is heavier and requires more space for transportation. You can comfortably cook for 6-8 and 10-12 with some planning. The most I have cooked for on the Q 200 is 15 and that consisted of grilled onions, 30 sausages and 20 large steaks which I had to cook from rare to well done.
The 220 has a higher lid than the 200 and has a temp gauge. Whilst most of us use a probe to tell us at what stage the meat is the temp gauge gives an indication of what the cooking temp is. I find that this is important when doing roasts, deserts, breads and the like. The Q 220 requires additional height for transporting, but can still be used on a table without the rolling cart.

A 9 kg (20 lb) tank will lasts approx 36 hours on high for the 200 series and about 38 - 40 hours for the 100 series. (After preheating, I turn my Q 200 down 1 to 2 strokes below high when grilling which reduces the amount of gas used)

I use the Q 200 as my primary gasser and use it 3-4 times per week.
I plan on purchasing a Q 300 at the end of this season and will keep the Q 200 as a portable and a back-up for when I have a lot of guests. GLW (good lady wife) or more commonly known as SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) put her foot down about the time of the purchase and I, like most husbands, decided to agree for the sake of peace within the ranks. (if I don't I don't get any peace and have to use the old marital deafness routine)

Regards

I was also looking at the Baby Q because portability was a concern of mine. Do you find the Baby Q big enough or did you wish you went a little bigger?

Thanks Phil. That was a nice write up. I will not be using the portable table so I quess my only concern now is if I can afford the extra space for the 200 series. Maybe the kids will just have to get use to packing less of their toys and allow me to pack some of mine
thanks.

Originally posted by Kim Petersson:
I was also looking at the Baby Q because portability was a concern of mine. Do you find the Baby Q big enough or did you wish you went a little bigger?

Kim,

I don't know for a fact yet. I just received my Baby Q and have not broken it in. But the Weber Q how much can it grill? webpage shows there is plenty of space for the one to four family members I'll be cooking for.

Jim

Kim, Jim
Send me an email using the email address in my profile and I will send you some recipes that I have perfected and written for the Weber Q (200)

Regards

Well I made the plunge today and purchased the 220. By taking the Kids out of the back seat and placing them on the roof rack I now have room to fit the Q and all my camping gear in the back of the Van. Told the kids not to smile while I drive as to keep the bugs of their teeth. Well I am off on holidays now heading to British Columbia and maybe down to Montanna. Thanks for all the info and I will report back on how it works.

i have owned my Q for about 2 years now and love it!
i have used it for general bbq'n and for camping although now it's pretty much relegated to camping only, but i would rather leave the tent at home than leave the Q at home.

Enjoy!

Phil,

Any chance of some photos of the Q being used for indirect coookings? I know you have tons of techniques with this grill. What about smoke? Do you use the foil packets?

Ron
I’ll try and take some during the week/ weekend and work out how to post them.
As for smoke, if you use a foil pack placed over the piezio igniter point you can generate smoke but you don’t appear to get an even spread. I have had some success with foil pouches on the grill one on each side with sawdust in them with the grill on high. However, these methods have limited application.
I don't use smoke very often with my Q recipes so its not much of a problem.

Regards

I bought a small Rosemary bush at Fred Meyer (Krogers) this spring. Two bigger pots later and it's a big bush despite a lot of pruning. I fire up the Q for home use at least once a week. A Rosemary spring stuck through the grate gives me nice smoke.

I gave the Q 220 (taller lid w/thermometer) to my brother and his wife as a wedding gift. They're really enjoying it, a perfect fit for apartment dwellers. I was very impressed by the quality and ingenuity of its design/construction.

Regards,
Chris

A Rosemary sprig stuck through the grate gives me nice smoke.

As always we learn something new. Konrad my dumb question is did you have it with the stalk above the grate or the stalk pushed through the grate.

Regards

I push the stalk through the grate and just leave enough above so it does not fall through. A long sprig I angle so it rests on the burner. Anything much below burner level will be wasted as it will not get burned.

HTH,

I just bought a slightly used Weber Q 200 through Craigslist for $100. It came with the rolling cart, small cover and a new bottle of propane.

I'm hoping to try it out next weekend. Maybe I'll take a few pictures.

Bill

I tried to make some blackened salmon the other day with a cast iron pan on top of the Q grill. However, I couldn't get the heat high enough to really sear the fish. Has anyone else tried this? I'm wondering if the Q griddle would work any better. The salmon was OK, it just didn't have that crispy exterior that I usually get using the stove.

I'm thinking of firing up a SJP the next time in order to get some high heat for cookouts using the cast iron pan.

Hi Ron

I use a cast iron griddle (hot plate) on the Q for onions eggs and prawns and fish. When I do the prawns and fish I usually use a sheet of baking paper underneath to stop it from burning.
I have not tried blackened fish on it yet so I will give it a go either this weekend or next weekend and see how it turns out and what we need to do. My griddle (hot plate) is a rectangular one about 4 mm (3/16") thick that I have had for years. It fits inside both the Kettle and the Q. The Q premium griddle is a great piece of kit if you do not have a griddle. I love the way that the handles turn into stands so that you can serve straight from the griddle to the table. I want to get one just to see if I can do an oriental sizzling beef with an oyster and honey sauce, however I digress.
When I use my griddle, I have the Q on high with the lid closed and preheat it for about 1 glass of red wine or 1 beer (15 minutes).
Do not overload it with food and try to get the meat or fish up to room temperature before throwing it on that way you do not lose too much heat and it should sear. Mix a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of oil together and melt them in the microwave for about 10 seconds. Put some of this on the griddle before you put the fish on and when you turn it over. This should work.
The butter gives it a glazed type finish and the oil stops the butter from burning.

Regards

Back