Weber One Touch Gold

Terry Murphy

TVWBB Fan
I'm thinking about this charcoal grill. I'm a Weber man. I have the 18.5 WSM, and a Genesis Silver. I like the Gold because of the size. (22.5). I don't want the Performer, I'll build my own table, and I have storage for my charcoal. Are they worth the $150.00 they're going for ? If you have one, let me know how ya feel about it. Pros and Cons. Thanks.

Terry, other than the "small" size of the 22.5" Gold, it is certainly the Finest grill on the market at any cost.
All PROs, NO cons.
If you feel the price for a new one is too high, check out your local CL for slightly/gently used units at thieves prices.

Did you not say, "I'm a Weber man" ? C'mon dude, you NEED the space
icon_smile.gif

Jim not saying the price is to high. Want to make sure its worth the money. Do you have one ?
You say it's small ? 22.5 for a family of 3 ?

My WSM is 18.5, I would think the One Touch Gold would be even bigger at 22.5 no ?
Not clear on the "dude you need space". Yea I'm a Weber Man.

I have a 22.5 OTG and love it. It's great for steaks - the size gives you more than enough room to go indirect if that's your thing. I think it is totally worth the price.

Ironically enough, one of the pros is also one of the cons: the size. As I mentioned, it gives you plenty of space, but you have to heat that space, meaning you will likely use a bit more charcoal than in an 18.5" OTG. For me, the pro of having more space outweighed the con of more charcoal usage.

Another pro (to me) is the ash catcher system. I also have an 18.5" OTS and I like the ash catcher in the OTG much better than the pan on the OTS. I have a dedicated bucket for ashes from all four of my charcoal grills (I fill the bucket, let the ashes cool, then dump them in the trash), and it's much easier dumping from the OTG than the OTS.

Beyond that, there really aren't any cons that I've come across. It's a Weber, and that means quality construction and a well-thought-out, throughly tested design. If I were to do it all over again, I would skip the 18.5 OTS and go straight to the 22.5 OTG because I think it is worth the $150 price tag.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that it's only my wife and I around here. There is typically alot of wasted space on my 22.5, but I usually just grill the meat. I don't grill veggies or potatoes like some people here do. If you grill things besides meat for your meals, you'll be happy you got the bigger grill. If you're like me and just grill the meat, expect some wasted grill space if you're just grilling one meal for the three of you.

Terry, I've owned a Gold for 4 or 5 years now. I LOVE IT. Easy to clean, easy to cook on. If you're worried about the the cost, you can wait to the end of the season and generally get one pretty cheap. Or check out craigs list often for a used one as Jim said. (they hold up well). 22.5 is plenty big for a family of 3 with room to spare. Grilling season is HERE..right now! I'd push the button if I were you. JMHO

It does sound like the next grill for us, especially after Jims pics. On weekends we get together with the neighbors, fire up the grill, fill the coolers, get a fire going, and just hang out on the patio. You all sold me. I don't worry about the cost as long as the quality is there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Murphy:
Not clear on the "dude you need space". Yea I'm a Weber Man. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>SPACE... sometimes the 22.5" Gold OR Silver is not big enough... even for a family of (ready?) one.
The 26 and 3/4 is the WAY to go.
THAT, is what i mean by "dude you need space"
icon_biggrin.gif

Terry, if I see it right you have a 18.5 WSM. You didn't mention that you have another grill. That being said If I were in that position, I would get the 26.75 for big or average cooks and the SJS for small cooks!

My 2 cents!

What makes a Weber a champ, is the air to fuel management! Your coals are sooooooooo even!

Let us know what you do!

Hey Glenn. Yea I do have a Weber Gas Grill also. I want to use that just for back-up at this point. With that said I figured the 22.5 would be big enough, along with my 18.5 WSM. After getting this WSM this past March we are sticking with charcoal. But this gasser is a good grill, and great for when ya had a busy day, and want something quick do to limited time. Do ya still think I should get the 26.75. I'm gonna have to try and find some Webers this weekend, and do some comparison. That will give me something to do while my rib roast is on the WSM.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Terry, I would think the 22.5" OTG would be enough space for 90% of your grilling. The 26.75" would be a great grill to have if your willing to part with the extra $100 to $150.

Terry,

I have a blue 22.5 otg I've had for 15 years and it has served every need of my family of 5. I recently bought a stainless red performer off craigslist for a steal but not because I didn't have enough space. I just wanted the table and couldn't build one as cheap. I've cooked on my old blue for crowds: burgers, ribs, steaks, chickens, tenderloins, butts, you name it. Count me as a vote that the 22.5 is perfection. Good luck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
I cook for a family of 3 on a 22 inch OTP, and am always wishing for more space. The 26 is definetely in my future ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Stuart, just wondering if you have the 2010 OTP or the older version? If it's the new, can you let me know how you like it? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
I cook for a family of 3 on a 22 inch OTP, and am always wishing for more space. The 26 is definetely in my future ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cook for 2 people...and still wish I had a larger grilling surface. I love my Performer to pieces, especially because it's the stainless steel table variety with the 5 lb. propane tank. However...I'd honestly jump ship if I could get a 26" Performer. There wouldn't even be a discussion. I'd have one. Don't care about the cost. I cook with a lot of indirect, which immediately cuts my grilling area in half. The added size would be welcome. I grill 4-5 times a week...and my time on the grill represents some of the most relaxing, and happiest times of my life. And that's before I even eat whatever comes off it. I've often found the journey is better than the ultimate destination. It's no exception with a grill. I'm rambling. Get a 26. LOL

Looks like he's a natural!

I just got tha feeling that in my future I will have the 22.5 WSM and a 26.5 OTG as well!

I see Guy in the background on the FN!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris D (Chris28):

Hi Stuart, just wondering if you have the 2010 OTP or the older version? If it's the new, can you let me know how you like it? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

It's an older one, and I love it, even though it's too small.
icon_smile.gif

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=709107581#709107581

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris D (Chris28):

Hi Stuart, just wondering if you have the 2010 OTP or the older version? If it's the new, can you let me know how you like it? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

It's an older one, and I love it, even though it's too small.
icon_smile.gif

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...=709107581#709107581 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's just like mine, but mine is green. I add another grate when I need it, and I bet I could add another 3rd one with my kettle rotisserie ring, but so far I haven't needed that much space
icon_eek.gif
....yeppers, plenty of room for ME
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willie S:
I took a few pics this last weekend of the 22.5 and 26 to show comparison. The 22.5 is perfect for most cooks for my family, but the 26 is handy when the inlaws or neighbors are over. Last weekend I cooked ribs, chicken thighs, sausage on both and easily fed 14. pic of both
Could probably squeeze another rack on the 26
Grandson very first rib bone, he's hooked! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know that Weber was making a 26" grill until I read this thread. Guess I've been spending too much time on my 18.5" WSM. Nice pics of the grills and the family. Forgot to mention that I have a 22.5" Green OTG that I bought last summer but haven't even fired it up yet. I do know that I bought a slide-a-way for the lid and I'm sure that it is going to come in really handy when I do get the grill fired up. By the way, the grill is true Weber quality....top notch!

Back