Weber One Touch Gold? or Platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Thom

TVWBB Member
Everyone in my family is chipping in on a new grill for my brother's birthday. Can't decide between the One Touch Gold, or Platinum though. Both the performer, and 26.75 are too pricey IMO. I'm leaning toward the Platinum, although if he wants a rotisserie later on I wonder if it would work on the platinum. I like the tables on the platinum, and it just looks cool doesn't it? Thoughts and input more than appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Major question: Does he like charcoal grilling?

I know people that bought an OUTSTANDING charcoal grill (not saying what it was/is [IT IS A WEBER]) and the guy used it TWO TIMES cuz he thought "messin' around with the coals" was a pain in the (bottom side).
So... i say, IF the guy LOVES to grill, SPLURGE and buy the 26"er. Unless of course, you don't like him.
my 0pini0n.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ok I'll consider the Performer, but would you shell out another 50 for the starting system? The chimney is really the way to go IMO. Additionally I think where the lid rests restricts access to the grilling area on that side. Would love input though.

To Jim: My research on the 26 says it really chews threw the charcoal. My brother is not nearly the bbq/grill nut that I am, and I'm afraid using so much fuel would translate to a "pain in the butt" to him. Its just him and his wife in the house(for now
icon_smile.gif
. Also I've heard the supports on the 26 are somewhat weak for the size. Any thoughts?

I've got both...love them both. If I could only have one or the other it would be the OTG because it travels with me when camping, fishing, on vacations, etc. That being said, if I didn't/wouldn't travel with a grill, no question it would be the Performer. The starting system is worth the extra $$ IMO, and I use a chimney. Just put the chimney right over the flame from the starting system, 5 minutes later turn the flame off, 10-15 minutes later dump the coals. So easy and no messing with paper towels, starter cubes, newspaper, etc...I used only 2-3 propane tanks all Summer and I grill A LOT.

The Performer is also a little taller than the OTG, which is pretty nice for me, I'm 6'3". The charcoal bin is also a nice feature.

The lid does hang over the cooking area a little and I had some concerns about that when I first got it but it hasn't been an issue at all.

I can't comment on the 26er as I've never cooked on one but the extra room would be nice. I get around that by having a Performer and a OTG...I have them both going at the same time quite often.

Since you asked, my advice. If you can afford it and it would stay put in one place, get the Performer. The OTG is a phenomenal grill however if you go that route.

Whatever you decide, make sure to tell him about this site.

Don: thanks a bunch. Lots of good thoughts there. I only wish the Performer came in red like the Platinum. I remember the red Weber my dad had growing up. Both have thermometers too. Will def tell him about this site though.

John does ur brother like to grill?
Does ur brother prefer charcoal or gas?

IMHO i think the 22 otg is the all around perfect grill, u can design a table the way u want it for the grill, and like Don mentioned it's easy to travel with, very easy to find parts for the grill.
I checked out the 26.75 at Academy last week and were on clearance for 188.00.

John,
you really cant go wrong with any Weber kettle. But if I had to chose, my vote would be for the performer! If you have an Ace hardware store that's local you can pick up the Brick red performer with free site to store shipping. Good luck with your purchase.

Stupid question - but can you buy a performer without the starting system, like John refers to above? I thought they were all in the package. I'm still using a 15 year old (red) kettle, but have been thinking about the performer lately, except I'm not interested in the gas starter. Guess I'll have to mull this over in the head all over again.

Peter

Have you check Craigslist for your area?

You can find many 'like new' Performers in the $100~$125 range.

he does like to grill, and wants a weber. My family has always been charcoal people(and I know I don't have the money for weber gas). I keep think the performer is too pricey for the gas starter, which IMO seems more of a pain than a gain. You'll always have to have a back up starter like a chimney anyways(in case your bottle runs out or is empty). Newspaper and a chimney are cheap. Added cost of propane bottles. Not to mention the charcoal bin isn't air tight, so charcoal can get moist. 5 gallon bucket is cheep, and weather proof (we live where the winter is most of our season. One more reason against is my dad has a performer, and his starter quit working(don't know why, I Never looked into it).

Noe -
Thanks for the confirmation - tht's what I thought. The problem for me is that I like the table and set-up of the performer more thatn the platinum, I just don't see getting gas for the ignition starter.
Peter

Pete u could get a otg and with the extra 100 dollars buy a table or build one to ur liking just a thought.

John, I own a 1991 Performer (w/o the gas-assist) and a One-touch Silver that I have modified to the point that it has all of the features (and more) of the One-touch Gold.

I have also cooked on the new One-touch Platinum.

I agree with everything that Don has said, particularly with respect to the additional height of the Performer. How tall is your brother? I am only 5'9", and you might be amazed at the difference that extra inch or two makes, even for me.

The Performer's cart assembly also provides far more stability than the design of the One-touch Gold affords; if your brother will have little ones running around (his own or his guests'), this feature alone would justify the premium of the Performer, or at least the Platinum. Moreover, I live in New England, where we get a fair amount of wet weather, and moisture has never been an issue in my storage bin. I note, however, that my I keep my Performer covered at all times when not in use. Also, my Performer is the older design, with access to the bin via the stainless steel table-top. I cannot say whether the tip-out bin on the current model is as resistant to moisture.

If mobility is an important consideration, I would go with the Gold, and would urge you to throw in the slide-aside and Weber Work-table attachments. That would get your brother a rig that has most of the features of the Platinum (albeit without the lid thermometer and slightly less storage space beneath the kettle), but with better mobility than either the Platinum or the Performer, and better lid clearance from the grill surface with the slide-aside as opposed to the bolted-on tuck-away assembly - for a slightly lower price than that of the Platinum.

The Platinum is a solid piece of equipment. Its cart assembly, while not as substantial as that of the Performer, provides more stability and, as I mentioned above, a slightly larger storage rack below the kettle than the Gold. It also has the two (smallish) side-tables, the bolted-on tuck-away lid assembly, and lid thermometer, all of which the Gold lacks.

However, I understand that the Platinum also comes with a price tag of about $250. Once you are up in this range, the extra $80 or so your family would have to pony up for the higher cooking surface, the more useful single large table-top work surface, the greater stability (with locking casters), the storage bin, an even larger storage rack below, and the gas-assist feature make the Performer a better value than the Platinum.

If you expect that your brother will frequently have occasion to cook for larger crowds, and would only have the one charcoal grill, I suggest that the 26" is a better option than any of the 22" models, including the Performer.

Whichever option you choose, your brother will be receiving a righteous gift.

By the way, the Weber rotisserie attachment will fit on a Performer. I have not tried to fit it onto a Platinum, but I do not know of any reason why it would not fit on that model, as well. However, the lid handle placement (toward the side, rather than on the top), may make the lid somewhat ungainly to take off and replace on the roti ring, as I suspect that you would not be able to use the tuck-away lid-holder while the roti ring is in place. You may not be able to easily take off and replace the hot lid mid-cook without gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back