weber leg help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i was cooking the other day and i asked my my 14 yr old daughter to move my grill.... she's dying to be allowed to cook on the grill, so i decided to have her help me with set-up lately.

well... im inside prepping food and all i hear is a CRASH !!!

by the time i got out there she had it upright again, but she said that the leg fell out and the whole thing collapsed. im positive this had something to do with the way she handled it because i probably baby this thing just as much as i did my newborns!

anyway... upon further inspection i am guessing that she has been dragging the whole grill by the leg, because the wheel-less leg is totally scraped up. ugh... looks awful.

anyway.... i tried searching here for tips on what to put on it... but couldnt find any threads. i know i had seen something about it at one time, but cant seem to find it anymore.

suggestions on what to stick on there.... or is there a little part i can buy to put on it?

The legs are just a friction fit. If nothing got bent, I would turn it over and with small block of wood and a hammer try to drive the leg in tighter. If the leg end got bent up at all and now doesn't have enough friction to hold tight I would try a wrap or two with foil on the end to create a tighter fit

Good luck

thanks i didnt know if i would hurt it by knocking it in a little tighter with something. i will probably try the foil on it as well for a little reinforcement.

is there something i can put on the bottom of the leg so it wont scrap against the ground?

You can do a few different things. If you want to attach the leg a little more perminant, you can put a self tapping screw through the leg socket and into the leg itself. Its essentially what the old thumb screws did that Weber installed in the 60's. As far as the bottom of the leg. Go to Wal-mart or Home Depot and get chair feet. They sell replacement feet for chairs in several different sizes. The have plastic and rubber, depending on how durable you want them. If you think you need heavy duty get a rubber tip and it should last a while. I'm sure there are fifty other ideas out there, but those are some pretty cheap and quick fixes.

Brian

Since you mentioned chair feet it reminded me of something I did recently. I have some shop stools in the garage. The legs cut through the rubber feet and I found the screw off tops from our water bottles we buy snapped on perfectly. And they were white. Perfect fit

thanks guys! great ideas..... i knew i could count on good suggestions here!

i dont know why i was thinking something about wine corks.... no idea where that came from

I can't understand why Weber doesn't do something to prevent the non-wheeled leg from falling out. I had a 80's vintage kettle grill and several times the leg fell out while moving the kettle, sometimes with lit charcoal on the grate. If I remember finally drove some small wood wedges between the leg and leg support.
icon_confused.gif

I wrapped a layer or two of duct tape around the legs where they fit into the socket on my 18 1/2 three wheeler and they fit very snug. Did that about 5 years ago and they haven't fallen out since

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scotty W.:
I can't understand why Weber doesn't do something to prevent the non-wheeled leg from falling out ................
icon_confused.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with you on this. Something as simple as pre-tapping the upper portion of the leg and providing a thin stainless screw would be a 10 cent fix. Doesn't make sense why Weber can't include this, and append a line or two to their instruction manual on how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back