weber in germany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting.

I've never seen an original kettle, aside from in the Weber brochures. It's also interesting to see the different color variations such as the robin egg blue and black kettle handles. I'd never seen a black Q320 before. Also looked like Weber markets their own briquettes too.

Retro Weber. How cool is that?

6509_img_0850_1.jpg

Any idea what was going on in the picture gallery?

Originally posted by Jered Crews:
Also looked like Weber markets their own briquettes too.
In the late '90s they sold a nice all-natural Weber briquet here in the States, but it was pricey and eventually discontinued. I bought it a couple of times at Barbeques Galore and liked it.

Regards,
Chris

They have the replicas of George Stephens' original kettle at the Weber Grill Restaurants in Chicago, Schaumburg, and Lombard IL. Also some of the old black & white photos are used as decorations in the restaurants.

That picture gallery is "der Grill-Akademie in Biebelsheim" which translates to The Grill Academy in Biebelsheim. A picture 2/3 way down the thread shows a Mercedes Sprinter van, with "Grill-Akademie on tour". So it must be a mobile grill academy put on by Weber, appearing at different locations depending on where the patrons enroll.

The Weber Grill Restaurants also offer grilling classes if you are in the area.

I read on another post all the Weber produts are made here in the U.S....that cool blue robin egg color...the copper kettle. We can not buy them here but they can over seas? What the heck is up w/ that? Was wondering what Weber would say if wee called them up and asked to buy a copper kettle? Kind of a slap in the face to us here.

gary i have asked that and was told it was up to the company that sells them to get the colors they want, like crate & barrel and their lime green. so weber puts it all people like amazon and ace hardware ect. if that were the case why wouldnt they list the other colors available on the weber site? sounds like webers way to sidestep the issue

That retro Weber is really cool. Is there any way that they could be talked into making them for sale? Wouldn't it be a kick to cook on one?

I believe that the "retro" Weber is a replica of the prototype that George Stephen fashioned from half of a metal harbor buoy back in the early fifties.

I have seen a replica just like it up close and personal at the Weber Grill restaurant in Chicago. And I agree with Shaun - it would be a kick to cook on one.

I would be very surprised, however, if Weber had any interest in tooling up to produce them again for sale to the public - the prototype is primitive, and clearly not as functional as modern kettles. Why incur the expense -- and the risk to the brand's strong reputation for functionality -- of producing a model that I'm fairly certain would not work as well as the entry-level OTS?

My guess is that the Weber folks are content to let the prototype remain a fond memory, and to limit the replicas to being a cool exhibit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back