Weber Identification - Lime Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys my brother just got this Weber kettle from his brother in-law and I have no clue what year it is. Can you help me? He wants to update some of the hardware but we don't know where to start. I already looked at the 'Determining the age of your WSM' section for a clue so it seems it's a pre 1979 model and I googled the patent number but it only provides general patent info about the whole grill, nothing specific. He's about to drill a hole in it for a thermometer.

001s.jpg

002s.jpg

003s.jpg

004s.jpg

He's been getting into the charcoal thing and been using a knock-off flimsy kettle, I've been telling him to upgrade to a Weber.

I can't help with the date but she sure is pretty. I'd think long and hard about drilling into her. IMO, I'd just put a thermometer down through one of the top vent holes and keep her in as pristine a condition as possible...Just my opinion though.

Good find!!

I've been telling him to upgrade to a Weber.
icon_cool.gif
Your a good Brother Don,
As for what year it is, I'm going to guess, mid to late 70's. My reasoning is my Brother in-law has an early 70's.
It reads PAT. PENDING, and is called a "BAR-B-QUE KETTLE" and he's sure his dad got it new around '71 or '72.
swebers012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I love the classic colors.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Mac and all:

I told him not to do a thing to it yet and Don you're right about the thermometer. I'll send him the link to this thread so he can lurk; he may even join the Bullet.

Yeah that thing is a beauty, I'm super envious.

Mac I see your vent label doesn't have the contemporary Weber font. I wonder when those started to be stamped. Also when did they start using wood handles on the bottom kettle?

I think he's having wobble problems with the legs, my solution would be rather destructive, I'm sure there's a better way.

Excellent Mike. Excellent. There you go Bra. I'm gonna rig up one of them too.

Galv steel and cutters - is there anything they can't do?

What a classic
You don`t see many of those around. I agree, No need to drill into her. Buy her a new cover, she deserves it.
What a great kettle

Mac's brother-in-law's kettle was probably manufactured no later than November 1970.
Thanks for doing the leg work Kevin. I'm still in negotiations to acquire it from him.
icon_wink.gif

wsmsmile8gm.gif

My brother has a few good questions:

1) What are the side grates for on top of the main grilling surface?

2) What's the best way to clean the residual rust from the grill?

3) What's the best way to treat the dented and chipped ceramic damage?

Thanks. My brother is very anxious to get this thing going and he is defiantly claiming that he's going to impale this beautiful classic with a thermometer.

Webercide.

More questions from my brother, his name is Lee, he's lurking:

How do I remove the ashes, just scoop? Or push through the vent holes?

Good question. How do you guys deal with your Weber old-skool kettle ashes?

Cooking, just use common sense?

I say yes but no.

Any Webber cooking sites?

Guys? Any ideas on that one? Drawing a blank...

So since my <span class="ev_code_RED">red</span> 18.5 kettle has thumb screws in the leg supports, no patent number, date code or "patent pending" would that date it at pre 1968 then? I'm told my grandfather got it new as a gift from my Uncle (who owned an Ace Hardware) in 1973 or 1974. Maybe it was NOS? I'm trying to determine the exact age. I need to post some pics.

OK Lee,
We know your out there. It's time to go from "Lurker " to Member.
Besides, "Resistance" is futile.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

best way to clean the grates is to get them nice and hot then use a bbq brush. Afterwards wipe the grates down with cooking oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back