Weber Handles mod. Why not? (photos)

Well you can just get some 1/8 by 5/8 aluminum flat stock, and bend it by hand. works really well
Tim

Originally posted by doug ep:
Let's try to be discrete about this, and spread the calls/inquiries out for a while. Please!!

No worries here, Doug. Thanks for sharing your info. I'm sure we'd all appreciate a photo or two when you get them installed.

Just a note for those ordering parts from WEBER:

The Customer Service seems fantastic, but be specific. I ordered the handles and got just the "outer part". If you look at the handles they are made of two pieces. Yep, I didn't get the inner parts...

Anyone need a couple of outer handle parts....?
icon_razz.gif

handles are made of two pieces

Ken, I agree that makes no sense. Mine came in a sealed plastic bag, inners/outers/screw! My sincerest apologies! I would call back and question where are the inner pieces, and why weren't they included--I do think they should be.

Even at Ace, a handle set includes both pieces.

BTW, I have been very busy or maybe lazy , and still haven't mounted mine...

I wonder if one could get a set of the handles that come with the ProQ Stacker and use those on the middle section of the WSM?

I really don't mind that they lie flat when not in use... in fact I prefer it that way. When they lay flat you can still get the WSM cover on and off.

Perfect solution in my mind.

I'd think the cover would be baggy enough to fit, however its been awhile since I have even tried to put it on.

I wouldn't want the handles any closer to the sides though. I'm not into using welding gloves while I fiddle with it. Only because I don't own any, and they would have very little use other than for that one purpose.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
I wonder if one could get a set of the handles that come with the ProQ Stacker and use those on the middle section of the WSM?

I really don't mind that they lie flat when not in use... in fact I prefer it that way. When they lay flat you can still get the WSM cover on and off.

I was wondering the same thing. In fact, last week I toured a few hardware stores to determine whether similar flat handles could be modified/contoured to fit the WSM. Doesn't appear likely. If someone found out whether ProQ sells the handles separately, I would seriously consider buying a pair... if shipping wasn't prohibitively high.

i saw some handles similar to the pro q at hd and they seemed that they would work just fine.
i personally like the folding style.

Yeah, but George... if you bend 'em to sit flush on the WSM, won't the hinged-handle bind?

i looked at it with this in mind. far as i can see, if the handle is bent a bit it will work. course i havn't done it so it could actually be a problem. nothing a heat wrench won't cure.

Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
I did the same mod. I ended up making the handles removable so I can get the cover on. I'm going to work on new brackets that will hinge up for use and down for the cover.

MikeZ
Yeah I was all happy with my handles, black ones for 2 bucks from Lowe's, didn't usethe Weber one's, until I tried to put the cover on.

I'm going to have the wife enlarge the cover.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:

I think there are a lot of handles that will work. Stanley makes some I think, I need to check. I want handles on mine, definitely. I'd like to put some clips like the ProQ had also, so that I could move the smoker in one piece as it is smoking, with coals in it, should I want to do that...I don't know why...but I often roll the kettle around also...building a cart with wheels is probably a better idea. I think that is what I will end up doing, even if I do add handles to the mid section, that is needed for certain.

ProQ Handles follow-up:

I called Fred's this morning. Bob told me they don't currently have any parts in stock, and no way of knowing when or if they might. In fact, I believe he said they are currently sold out of the WSM - ProQ Stackers, and waiting for more.

Originally posted by KenP:
Yeah I was all happy with my handles, black ones for 2 bucks from Lowe's, didn't use the Weber one's, until I tried to put the cover on.

I'm going to have the wife enlarge the cover.

I'm using the "garage door handles" from HD, in a vertical orientation.

I've found that the cover still works pretty well after cutting the elastic at the bottom . But there is not much extra room in there--sometimes I feel like it should be applied by "rolling it down"
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Chris Finney:
I just didn't want the eyelet to be what was holding the grate bracket, so I dilled new holes.

Substituting eyelets for bolts is, admittedly, clever. However, I agree with you – only bolts will hold my grate straps. If I can drill holes for a thermometer and intake venting, two tiny holes for eyelets won't likely pose much of a challenge.

Nice handles.

Chris, your photos are the reason I took on this project! Thanks for the inspiration. I love the horiz. weber handles, honestly, I dont know if I could be without them now. If/when I get a new 22" it will have them installed also.

Brandon

Originally posted by Brandon A:
Chris, your photos are the reason I took on this project! Thanks for the inspiration. I love the horiz. weber handles, honestly, I dont know if I could be without them now. If/when I get a new 22" it will have them installed also.

Brandon

Glad I could inspire 'something'.
icon_rolleyes.gif
LOL

Question? Can you still get the cover on? I seriously doubt that I could get mine on. Mine is a real PITA as it is BARELY big enough to get on the cooker without any added width. Is this common or do I have a defective cover?

Back