Weber Gourmet BBQ System

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
I have the Weber Gourmet BBQ CI grates on my Spirit S-210. I have the griddle insert and a CI wok. I don't know if the Wok is a Weber original or not. I've been wondering if there is any real value or benefit to this system. I find the griddle insert very handy but it's small and I don't think it does anything better or different than any CI griddle would do. I'm not sure the temperature increase by the insert sitting an inch below the bottom of the grates is significant...especially on the 210 as there is no center burner.
The Wok is quite small. I never use it.
Anyone else have or use these grates/system?
The current ones are starting to deteriorate. I have another set of standard CI grates which I think I'll swap for the Gourmet BBQ system ones.
I know some folks were finding the Genesis and E310 SS Gourmet grates on clearance at Lowes recently. I considered looking for these but would have to cut them to fit. Be interesting to know what others think.

I have the Weber Gourmet BBQ CI grates on my Spirit S-210. I have the griddle insert and a CI wok. I don't know if the Wok is a Weber original or not. I've been wondering if there is any real value or benefit to this system. I find the griddle insert very handy but it's small and I don't think it does anything better or different than any CI griddle would do. I'm not sure the temperature increase by the insert sitting an inch below the bottom of the grates is significant...especially on the 210 as there is no center burner.
The Wok is quite small. I never use it.
Anyone else have or use these grates/system?
The current ones are starting to deteriorate. I have another set of standard CI grates which I think I'll swap for the Gourmet BBQ system ones.
I know some folks were finding the Genesis and E310 SS Gourmet grates on clearance at Lowes recently. I considered looking for these but would have to cut them to fit. Be interesting to know what others think.
Hi Jay, I have the CI gourmet grates on a spirit 3 burner. I got them off a free grill about 7 years ago. I like them. I use the cast iron skillet insert on a regular basis. I have placed the skillet on top of the grates without removing the insert and haven’t noticed any performance differences. The size is too small though.

I had the SS gourmet system. It sucked. Poor fit and finish and hard to clean. Not worth the discounted price in my opinion.

Hi Jay, I have the CI gourmet grates on a spirit 3 burner. I got them off a free grill about 7 years ago. I like them. I use the cast iron skillet insert on a regular basis. I have placed the skillet on top of the grates without removing the insert and haven’t noticed any performance differences. The size is too small though.

I had the SS gourmet system. It sucked. Poor fit and finish and hard to clean. Not worth the discounted price in my opinion.
Thanks BP...good to know about the SS grates. I think I've got another 6 months before the CI Gourmet grates are toast. Than I'll just put the regular CI grates in and call it a day.

In my opinion, the whole system is totally useless - it looks cool in pictures but doesn't actually accomplish much of anything. If you really want a particular accessory, you could simply buy a pizza stone or griddle or skillet or whatever that you like and simply place in on top of the grates.

The exception of course is the wok because it fits neatly in the hole. Even then, I don't get the heavy cast iron wok. The whole point of a traditional wok is to be hot at the bottom and cooler around the edges.

I recently purchased aftermarket cast iron grates for my grill that have the round Weber system hole/insert. I needed new grates anyway and thought I might be worth a try to use my regular wok outdoors. I have not tried this yet, however.

Last edited:
Yep, it is not something I cared to mess around with at all. I did buy a SS set last year for really cheap, like $30 but I put them on one of my rehabs. I tend to be a much more simple griller. Rotisserie is about as fancy as I get. I like doing pizza's on the grill, but then I just throw one of those round oven pizza pans under and go at it. Works great for me. I don't need a whole outdoor kitchen to be happy.

Debated between the hd gourmet system or the regular. 310. Yeah have not used it at all. Sounds good but really needs to be design for it otherwise it is like a car/boat. Not as good as either

Yep, it is not something I cared to mess around with at all... I don't need a whole outdoor kitchen to be happy.
Bruce,
You are absolutely right, but nutcases like me just keep falling for all these "cool" extras. The only one that does make sense to me is the diamond cast iron sear grate. On the GBS, it is just much too small other than if you are cooking for 2. That is one thing I am impressed with on the new "Crafted Kitchen" sets. The wide diamond sear grate on that would actually allow you to cook for a family.

Of course, in the end, all of here know that there is no need whatsoever for a "diamond" shaped grate when all you need is regular grates and a good diagonal turn!

Attachments

• IMG_3884.jpeg
    IMG_3884.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 3
The only time I like the GBS system on my WSCG is when I use the Vortex. I usually buy more universal accessories that are bigger and can be used on other grills too. I have the little GBS griddle pan and it usually ends up on top of the grate so I can move it around.

I've always thought the GBS was gimmicky. I've never understood the advantage to having something fixed in a spot on the grate, instead of, you know, just setting it on the grate. Might be good if you are grilling on a boat or in an earthquake I guess. ;)
I did like them on my kettle, just for being able to lift the center and add wood or coals, especially useful with a Vortex.

I've always thought the GBS was gimmicky. I've never understood the advantage to having something fixed in a spot on the grate, instead of, you know, just setting it on the grate. Might be good if you are grilling on a boat or in an earthquake I guess. ;)
I did like them on my kettle, just for being able to lift the center and add wood or coals, especially useful with a Vortex.
Good points. Actually, you end up with more cooking surface if you use a bigger griddle than the Weber insert. You also jet more flexibility with being able to move it around. On many occasions, I've used a Lodge CI pizza pan as a griddle. It's twice the size of the GBS insert.

Good points. Actually, you end up with more cooking surface if you use a bigger griddle than the Weber insert. You also jet more flexibility with being able to move it around. On many occasions, I've used a Lodge CI pizza pan as a griddle. It's twice the size of the GBS insert.
Agreed. I have lots of CI that I use on the grills. That Lodge pizza pan is awesome. I have one, wish I had bought another before they changed the design.

I guess I’m in the minority on this one. We have 2013 Spirit E-310 with the cast iron GBS grates and griddle included. I believe it was a Home Depot exclusive item at the time. We were looking for a value Weber for our camp and didn’t buy the grill because of the GBS. Still, we have found that we use the griddle insert quite often for baked beans, eggs, and other “loose foods” that need containment while grilling burgers, dogs, or ham steaks at the same time.

Thanks BP...good to know about the SS grates. I think I've got another 6 months before the CI Gourmet grates are toast. Than I'll just put the regular CI grates in and call it a day.
I guess I’m in the minority on this one. We have 2013 Spirit E-310 with the cast iron GBS grates and griddle included. I believe it was a Home Depot exclusive item at the time. We were looking for a value Weber for our camp and didn’t buy the grill because of the GBS. Still, we have found that we use the griddle insert quite often for baked beans, eggs, and other “loose foods” that need containment while grilling burgers, dogs, or ham steaks at the same time.
Hi Tom, I have a 2012 Spirit with cast iron GBS with a skillet. Works good.

I tried the SS version and found them to have a poor fit and finish and difficult to clean

Agreed. I have lots of CI that I use on the grills. That Lodge pizza pan is awesome. I have one, wish I had bought another before they changed the design.
I know what you mean. The handles are now like a cantilevered design. The one I have the handles are cast into the symmetry of the circular CI.

Back