Weber Genesis Gold Quick Resto

Hey Everyone,

Well I officially got the bug building my own Genesis 3000 last year and I have taken on another Genesis project this year. This time I am restoring a Weber Genesis Gold for a friend. I have attached the before pictures.

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I have been unable to find the answer by searching. I have a question pertaining to the lid. I have not gotten my hands on an old stainless steel lid until now so again sorry if I am missing something. There appears to be some kind of metal sheet lining the inside of the lid. Unfortunately it is rusting away and falling off in several spots. Can someone tell me what this is? Is it necessary? I have not pulled it back but underneath this metal sheet is the lid. I am trying to figure out what this is, if it is necessary, and what my replacement options would be. Is it necessary to even replace?

Thanks in advance!

image_67199489.JPGimage_67143169.JPGimage_67184385.JPGimage_67219713.JPG

Attachments

• image_67219201.JPG
    image_67219201.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 22
  • image_67164417.JPG
    image_67164417.JPG
    221.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image_67189505.JPG
    image_67189505.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67196929.JPG
    image_67196929.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67218177.JPG
    image_67218177.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image_67232513.JPG
    image_67232513.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 17
  • image_55415491 (1).JPG
    image_55415491 (1).JPG
    201 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67214593.JPG
    image_67214593.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image_67236097.JPG
    image_67236097.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image_67238657.JPG
    image_67238657.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 21
That is a heat shield designed to keep the stainless hood from getting a blue tint from high heat. If it is crumbling, there is not much you can do but remove it and accept a little "bluing." The porcelain hoods don't have this issue, so you could look for a swap if that appeals to you.

Interestingly, Weber has gone to using these heat shields even on porcelain hoods. I think it is because they got so many complaints about "peeling paint" on the inside of porcelain hoods that was actually nothing more than sheets of carbon. These heat shields aren't susceptible to that - just corrosion as you see on this project.

Yah, I would say just leave it untill it gets to the point it is litterally falling out. That one probably has a bit of life left, but removing it now wouldn't be a mistake either.
As Jon says, just about any Genesis 3 burner lid from 1985 to 2005 will fit that grill. So if you prefer the porcelain coated or just don't want to deal with the lid and liner, then find a donor grill to snag one off of.

Just pull it out. They're pretty useless anyway. As mentioned previously it's only there to help stop the stainless lid from bluing. Would far rather have a little bluing than chunks of rusted steel on my food. Unless you like the little "crunchy bits" :D

Thank you for the help everyone. I was thinking it was something to protect the stainless hood but was hoping it was not necessary.

I agree that it should be removed so I will plan on removing it while also looking for a replacement donor lid. Since the grill is for a friend I do not like the idea that it will "blue" over time, and I made the mistake of getting my friend all excited about the stainless look. Good learning lesson for a few reasons haha.

I had the same issue with a 2005 Summit Platinum that I restored, fortunately it had a 25 year warranty and was recently replaced by Weber.

You can always keep your eyes open for another stainless lid that isn't in such rough shape on the inside as well. Gonna be tough to find though.

What would be the best way to go out contacting weber for a replacement? Should I hope the grill has not been registered and try to register it first?

Also just to clarify, is it correct to say any lid in the silver/gold/platinum era would work as a replacement? Even if the thermometer is in the center would it still be pre-2005 if it is the silver/gold/platinum era?

I think some of the platinums "might" have different lid specs but otherwise, all Genesis three burner grills should be interchangeable from 1985 through 2005. don't get hung up too much on the Silver Gold Platinum designation. But i think "maybe" a couple years they had some one off Platinums that I am not to sure about. But even the Genesis 1-5 and 1000-5000 lids will work. And actually some of the Spirit E3xx lids are the same as well. Those came after 2005.

What would be the best way to go out contacting weber for a replacement? Should I hope the grill has not been registered and try to register it first?

Also just to clarify, is it correct to say any lid in the silver/gold/platinum era would work as a replacement? Even if the thermometer is in the center would it still be pre-2005 if it is the silver/gold/platinum era?
Register the grill with Weber if you can and go from there. If it’s not registered you should be able to register it. If it’s still under warranty you may want to ask Weber about the rotten lid liner. No harm in asking.

I had one replaced on warranty as well about 2 years ago. BUT: Weber no longer has SS lids. You will get a black lid with SS handle.

Stefan, I was hoping someone would chime in on that. I thought that was the case, but not sure. In fact, I think that if they replace any older Genesis lid, it will be basic black, regardless of the color of the original grill.

I got a black with gray end caps for a platinum replacement. It fits and functions.

Probably like a model T you can have any color you want as long as it is black.

Back