Weber Genesis gas leak

RSwan

Greetings,
Brand new member (thanks for the add!) and first post.

We have a Genesis 1000 or 1100. I think early 90's vintage.
The 20lb propane tank seems to be draining awfully quickly. We've gotten to the point where we turn off the gas tank after each use.

Where are the common areas to check for a gas leak?
Do you check with soapy water or by smell?

Thanks!

Grab a spray bottle. Fill it half with water and then maybe a tablespoon of dish soap. Mix the soap in. Then open the tank valve and leave the burners off. Then, spray every connection from the tank to the manifold as well as the entire hose itself. If you have a leak, you will quickly see bubbles rising from the problem area. The smell test might work to check for an overall leak, but it won't pin point it very well. The soapy spray test will show exactly where the problem is.

Greetings,
Brand new member (thanks for the add!) and first post.

We have a Genesis 1000 or 1100. I think early 90's vintage.
The 20lb propane tank seems to be draining awfully quickly. We've gotten to the point where we turn off the gas tank after each use.

Where are the common areas to check for a gas leak?
Do you check with soapy water or by smell?

Thanks!

What Bruce said, but I want to reinforce a good practice: You should always turn the tank off after every use, for safety. It's written in the manual and on the grill.

I turn my tank off as well after each use. However, I know some that don't and never have with no problems. It just seems logical it isn't a big deal since you don't turn off the NG line when the grill isn't in use. I have propane at my home and I don't shut off the propane line to my stove or furnace when not in use. So, I don't really have a problem if people don't turn them off, but I do, except the times I forget......LOL.

It just seems logical it isn't a big deal since you don't turn off the NG line when the grill isn't in use.
Umm...from page 3 of the Genesis II E-210 • E-310 • S-310 • SE-310 • E-410 • SE-410 • E-610 owner's manual:

Storage and/or Nonuse
WARNING: Turn off the gas at the natural gas supply valve when the grill in not in use.

:D

Hmmmm, do people do that commonly. I remember growing up we had a grill on NG and it didn't even have a valve to turn off.

Other than that, I don't really have experience with running grills on NG.

Chris: Very true words.
t0sG1c6.jpg

I became religious about turning off the gas when I hooked up a new bottle and went to use it a few of days later. It was empty. Now I go by the book and check for leaks every time I change tanks. Seems like it has to hit you in the pocketbook before it begins to make sense.

I don't bother turning off the NG tap tot he grills. Heck the hoses are steel coated with vinyl. My connections are made well all sealed with either yellow PTFE tape or PTFE compound. I don't shut the gas off in the house when it's not in use. I do shut the tank off on my Q320 since I keep it in the garage and it's easy to bump the knob and and have it flow gas. Otherwise I would not bother with it.

I don't bother turning off the NG tap tot he grills. Heck the hoses are steel coated with vinyl. My connections are made well all sealed with either yellow PTFE tape or PTFE compound. I don't shut the gas off in the house when it's not in use.
Larry, that's just not a good argument. The rules are different for permanent vs portable appliances. But you know all about gases and safety, so I'm not about to "hold your feet to the fire" on this.
I do shut the tank off on my Q320 since I keep it in the garage and it's easy to bump the knob and and have it flow gas. Otherwise I would not bother with it.
I would be more concerned with a gas leak indoors vs outdoors, especially if your water heater is in the garage like mine is. But that's me. Last night I was in the closed garage pouring some lacquer thinner into a smaller container and spilled some. I was standing about 4 feet away from our NG water heater with the standing pilot. My life flashed before my eyes...ok, not really, but in my mind's eye I could see myself looking like a Roman candle and it dawned on me what an incredibly stupid act I was committing.

I think we should promote safe practices publicly and take our own calculated risks privately. Who, after all, unplugs the TV or the computer when not in use? But that would be the safest practice.

OK so I am officially LOL because you kinda get on me about not turning off the gas to my big grills but then pour a highly caustic and flammable substance 4' from a flame. I know do as I say not as I do. Like I indicated I do turn the valve off on my q320 because it's kept in the garage, in a place it can be bumped easily and have the burner control accidentally turned on. But my 2 NG outside ones no. Unless I am disconnecting them from the pipe for awhile. All my fittings are leak tested and safe BTW so I don't feel it unsafe at all

Another dumb thing I do despite knowing the risks is locking down the paddle on an angle grinder. One time I was grinding away at work and for one reason or another I managed to pull the plug out of the outlet. Without thinking, I put the grinder down on the welding table and plugged it back in. That was interesting! Of course, the first thing I did after retrieving the grinder was look around and make sure nobody was watching...

But I would never recommend locking the paddle down to anyone. We should encourage safe practices.

Last edited:

Back