Weber genesis e310 High pressure

Dan Schacher

Hello all. This is my first thread and I’m going to guess that this sort of thing is frowned upon around here. But maybe I’ve been spoiled by my time working in restaurants with commercial grade grills. My genesis seems to be in decent shape, it will get up to 500 within 8-10 minutes but it still doesn’t have the ability to sear meats really at all. So my plan is to convert the regulator to have a little more power and BTU output.

when I installed the new regulator on the propane tank (it has a control knob and pressure gauge) and turn it past 10psi, it starts to hiss and leak gas out of my brass control valves.

so my questions are the following:

1. What is the typical output of a standard LP regulator?

2. Do I even need to push it beyond 10 psi?

3. Are my valves leaking because I’m pushing the pressure output much further than these are spec’d? (Never had any of these issues with old regulator)

4. do I need to drill the orifice on the valve any bigger to allow more gas to go where it’s supposed to?

I took apart the valves and noticed they look a bit gunky, anyways thanks guys.

28E1F53F-B391-4761-8E4D-DEB53ABCDC90.jpeg2E76A71C-56B0-4E18-AA15-B127BE0327B8.jpeg

Ummmm, Larry will probably have some answers for you, but I think our grills are intended to run on about 1psi, but not positive on that.
I do know that those high pressure adjustable ones are frowned upon for use on a basic grill as they are intended for higher output uses and dialing them in at the lower pressures is really tough to do as it seems you are finding out.

If you are determining your grill temps off the lid thermometer, you are likely getting a wildly innacurate reading for what the grate level temps really are. If you have a remote thermometer, test it with that with the probe at grate level or use an IR gun thermometer to read the grate temps after the grill is fully warmed up.

Lp grills are generally designed to operate at 11" wc. 10psi = 270"wc. Basically accident waiting to happen.

I'll let Larry do the scolding lol...

Ummmm, Larry will probably have some answers for you, but I think our grills are intended to run on about 1psi, but not positive on that.
I do know that those high pressure adjustable ones are frowned upon for use on a basic grill as they are intended for higher output uses and dialing them in at the lower pressures is really tough to do as it seems you are finding out.

If you are determining your grill temps off the lid thermometer, you are likely getting a wildly innacurate reading for what the grate level temps really are. If you have a remote thermometer, test it with that with the probe at grate level or use an IR gun thermometer to read the grate temps after the grill is fully warmed up.
yes I'm using the lid thermometer. I have done a pretty thorough clean on all the burners, which seems like it would affect the flames the most. Like i said I'm used to commercial grill tops that get very very hot, its obvious based on the amount of flames that come out of the burners, also they are NG not LP.

Lp grills are generally designed to operate at 11" wc. 10psi = 270"wc. Basically accident waiting to happen.

I'll let Larry do the scolding lol...

What if i were to replace the regulator on the tank with one that had a consistent output at 2 PSI? i'm assuming that would be plenty safe, or at least max out the current set-up at 2-3 psi. The valves did not leak until i pushed it pretty far, and of course i wasn't doing these tests with open flames.

Don't do it. Replace with OEM, if necessary.

You can always buy GrillGrate brand grill grates, and the use of those alone will ramp up the grate temps 100-150 degrees. They also eliminate hot-spots and reduce flare-ups. A full set for your grill will probably set you back ~ $120.00. I can't imagine owning a gas grill without 'em.

Not even going to try to respond to such goofy ideas. Hopefully the poster doesn't hurt anyone unsuspecting.
you don't need to be a dick. I use a high pressure regulator on multiple cooking units, a wok and a stand alone burner for soups and stocks. I don't find it to be completely unreasonable to push the stock output on these units for the sake of making better food.

Don't do it. Replace with OEM, if necessary.

You can always buy GrillGrate brand grill grates, and the use of those alone will ramp up the grate temps 100-150 degrees. They also eliminate hot-spots and reduce flare-ups. A full set for your grill will probably set you back ~ $120.00. I can't imagine owning a gas grill without 'em.
okay these are the sort of answers i was looking for. If I cannot increase the amount of gas i will need other options to get this up to speed and able to actually cook foods like a professional

If I cannot safely increase the output pressure form the regulator can i increase the BTU by changing the orifice size to #57 or so?

okay these are the sort of answers i was looking for. If I cannot increase the amount of gas i will need other options to get this up to speed and able to actually cook foods like a professional
An added bonus is that you don't use as much gas with GrillGrates, because they heat up faster, and get hotter.

Back