Weber Genesis 3000 lid restoration

J Hesse

I have searched and looked about the forums, and been frankly a long time lurker. I recently found a Weber Genesis 3000 on the side of the road, and decided to fix it up. It is surprisingly clean, Durawood slats look real nice, cart isn't rusted out at all, and the interior of the lid doesn't even have that burnt grease film in it. I will need to do minimal work to get it to be fully functional including replacing the flavorizers and potentially the grates (although they look to be serviceable). My only issue with it other than locating a cover is that the lid is horribly faded and has a couple deep scratches.

Any hints or tricks to try and get the lid looking as close to new again? I haven't used super-fine steel wool yet, hoping that may do the trick but wanted to reach out first. Thank you.

Well, if by horribly faded you are talking about white speckles that don’t come off with cleaning - 0000 steel wool and Simple Green recommended - then I am afraid you either have to live with it or find a donor grill replacement hood. As far as scratches, it is possible to do a very minor touch up with high heat paint, but if it is in an obvious place, you will always see it. Don’t be too discouraged because donor grills are out there if needed.

While using the lid as is wont affect the funcionality, it would probably be nice to have a nice looking lid for a grill that otherwise sounds like it is great shape. I would keep your eyes out for a donor grill. A wide range of years of genesis grill lids will fit that grill and it should be easy and fairly inexpensive to find a replacement.

Back