Weber Genesis 1000 rebuild - smells like gas / not getting hot

I thought it was one you bought this way. Yes brass is not very forgiving. It will split before you can say "oh spit". Pipe dope made for gas fittings under 1/2" NPT either tape or dope above that. Nothing on flare fittings. I don't have a ready photo of a flare fitting but maybe someone can post one for me to illustrate
Is there a pipe dope you specifically recommend? I have some "Oatey Great White pipe joint compound with PTFE" at the house I was thinking i could use. Says it's rated to 3000 psi.

I thought it was one you bought this way. Yes brass is not very forgiving. It will split before you can say "oh spit". Pipe dope made for gas fittings under 1/2" NPT either tape or dope above that. Nothing on flare fittings. I don't have a ready photo of a flare fitting but maybe someone can post one for me to illustrate
Sorry, do I need a flare fitting and the elbow fitting? Just want to confirm.

On the elbow fitting - the side that goes into the manifold, use tape or dope that end and the end that the hose goes into do not use tape or dope - is that correct?

This is a flared fitting. It does not require tape or paste. The male and female ends seal by mating the tapered ends.

flare.jpg

This is a NPT (National Pipe Tapered threads) style fitting and requires paste that is suitable for LP connections.

NPT.jpg

Answer to your question. I use Oatey all the time for that. But they make different types. Just be sure it specifies safe for use with gasses i,e, LP, NG, what have you. It it does you're golden

Good thread here guys....some good info being passed around. So I just learned that I made a mistake when installing a new regulator on my nephews old silver B......I did use tape and thought I was doing a good thing....but now I understand why that wasnt a good idea.....cause the two tapers cant get close enough to seal right? I did do a test burn and there were no issues....but when I go back I will remove the tape.

Roger that Bruce......I just did a quick burn.....did not do a soap test...more of a sniff test.......will give her a looksy next time.......Maybe my nephew will cook me a dang steak and get his favorite Uncle an ice cold beer for all of his grill assistance. :)

I will do it sir.......also...while I have your attention I received those ss grates u recommended for flippers.......Hey not bad at all.....thanks for the tip!!!

Hisencn.......I didnt test fit them on a grill yet but I would say they are just meaty enough to not give a cheap feel to the grill......And bling bling bling with some ss bars....they will look great.

I do really recommend the soapy water test.
FWIW, I second that recommendation. JimV, you will sleep better at night after a leak test.

EDIT: I gotta grab these pics when I see them...I looked and can't find it, so I hope you may have seen it. There was a pic recently of a gas manifold that was just plastered with different colored OEM "OK" stickers, a good idea of how many inspections the gas system must go through before hitting retail. Serious biz right there, Jim!

EDIT2: True story. I worked with a guy who was good friends with a guy whose job it was to drive those propane tank trucks around and fill people's propane. It doesn't get real cold in SoCal, but there was a cold morning and he was filling a tank. Propane is heavier than air at cold temps and it collected near the ground and ignited somehow. This guy was horribly burned and won a large award from the propane company so he was/is set for life, but at a terrible, terrible price. That's why I know you will sleep better at night now that you know what I know.

Last edited:
Hey, Jim, this happened many years ago, so I thought I would do a Google search for it. Do a search sometime on the term "man injured in propane"...I pulled up stories just in the past year or so of propane tank explosions in homeless camps, in basements...and then I found this one, about a guy who disconnected the propane tank while the grill was in operation:

Back