Weber gas grill quality at HD, Lowes, etc

Werner

TVWBB Member
OK, I so finally caved, sort of. I have been cooking on my Weber kettle charcoal for years and love it. However my wife is not too crazy about starting with charcoal and would like a gas grill. I was able to snag the E-310 at Walmart for about $350, but was curious if anyone knows what the quality difference is, if any, between Walmart, Lowes, HD and local Hardware stores.

Even if the quality is a little less at Walmart than a local hardware store, I am willing to take a chance for a $150 discount, but I need to drive an hour to get it. If I can get Lowes, HD, or a local hardware store to match it would be a lot more convenient, but would rather drive if the quality at Walmart is better (very doubtful) than Lowes, HD, or local. Is it worse than HD/Lowes? I know the local hardware stores may be better.

Any thoughts or experiences with quality differences, if any, between these?

Thanks in advance.

Werner

the only difference I expected to see was the grates, but online, walmart, target, amazon, & home depot all say it comes with the PCI grates.

I am assuming that you're looking at a "Spirit" for that price. I doubt there's any difference between any of the dealers carrying the same model. It is made in China, and has the "Spirit" of a Weber. For the price, I would consider looking at that Weber Q3200. It's a different animal, but it is American made, has a better warranty and has legions of devoted fans around the world....myself included.

Okay, I was wrong. I thought the warranty on the Spirit was downgraded from the Genesis. I stand corrected.

I am assuming that you're looking at a "Spirit" for that price. I doubt there's any difference between any of the dealers carrying the same model. It is made in China, and has the "Spirit" of a Weber. For the price, I would consider looking at that Weber Q3200. It's a different animal, but it is American made, has a better warranty and has legions of devoted fans around the world....myself included.

Yes, its a Spirit. Walmart has the E-310 for $349, down from $499. I will take a look at the Q3200. Im trying to get something that may see daily use that is of quality. I have not shopped for the gas grills in quite a while since I prefer cooking with charcoal. I didnt realize some of the grills are manufactured in China. I think the HD or Lowes version has some removable circular grate, but am not sure

That's a very popular misconception that a lot of people have... i.e. that a product at big box store like Walmart, HD or Lowes is some how lower quality then the same product someplace else.

It is true that the big box stores have huge buying power and with that power they can special order products with different specs then the standard offerings. This is usually done to meet a specific market or price point and often those special models are lower quality but when they do that, that product gets a unique model or item number.

So what I'm saying it, a Weber E-310 is the same grill regardless of where you buy it. If it was a specially produced model with different parts or specs then the standard E-310, the model number would change. For instance ACE HW carries a special order run of Weber E series Genesis grills that come with SS favorizer bars and SS cooking grates (as opposed to the standard porcelain bars and CI grates) but those models start with "EP" instead of "E" and have "special edition" badging.

Last edited:
I'd get the spirit over the Q for daily use. That's a great price for what you're getting. I haven't paid much attention to the Spirits in the store so I can't really compare it to the Genesis, but that reminds me of my ~2001 genesis, & especially the ~2005 genesis I found for my cousin 3 weeks ago.

I was able to snag the E-310 at Walmart for about $350,
Thanks in advance.

Werner

Can you please share if the price that you are able to purchase this grill is a standard/sale price available at all Wal-Mart's or did you find a deal on a clearance or floor model?
Thanks.

Can you please share if the price that you are able to purchase this grill is a standard/sale price available at all Wal-Mart's or did you find a deal on a clearance or floor model?
Thanks.

Hi David....

Its a big YMMV. If you check out this thread, you should be able to find out if one is available in your area. I was able to get one about an hour away Friday. If I can get a PM, it would save me some time and hassle. These are not floor models

http://slickdeals.net/f/7928923-web...mart-clearance-ymmv-349-00?v=1&src=SiteSearch

By the way in this post the mobile link is what works as pointed out by some folks so use that. The mobile link is a couple of posts down from the top.

Let me know if you need more information and whether you are able to find one. Good Luck and hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for the feedback

Werner

Sweet! I just picked up the S310 tonight at Walmart for $350! I was planning on paying $400 for the S210 next week so this is a steal for the 3 burner and $50 less.
20150624_210546_zpscupiqrsn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back