Weber Flatbreads

Nice job Dave! I like the way the fire almost surrounds the bread. That's a pretty good method.

Wow. What an achievement!

I remember some (other?) guy was forcing propane through a double hulled kettle to get these (or higher) temps. That design was definitely not my style. But this fits me.

The pie on the earlier attempt @ ~500F looks gorgeous too! ;-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
if i find a lost cause kettle i might do that. sure looks great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For sure!

Great video Dave!

Thanks for the kind words all, it's been a blast of a project. I'm going to cut a final mod and then it's time for a big pizza party. I got a couple lids donated from friends.

I feared I'd catch crap for cutting up a classic kettle.

Pretty cool Dave. Thanks for sharing. What is that kettle sitting on for a base? And what's your charcoal setup - just a ring around the kettle?

The base is from a neighbor's trashed chiminea. Got lucky on that.

Most of this is on my food site webercam.com, the base is modified too. I took out about a 6" diameter hole. Assembly then as follows:
-lower grate goes in,
-a square of bricks go in the center to prevent fuel from getting directly beneath the cook surface. I found if fuel is directly beneath, the bottom burns waaaay before the top cooks.
-a dual hinged top grate with both side "flaps" up.
-a clay pot drip tray is placed on the top grate
-ignition starts with a chimney of briquettes, half on each side
-here's the fun part. I toss oak and redbud chunks in and maintain it like that. The clay cook surface is a size that still has enough room around it to get in several inch chunks.
-I use downed wood on my lot - Ohio has been windy the past few years.
-Takes a while to get the clay and bricks up to temp, maybe 30 minutes. I check the surface temp with an IR thermometer. Anything above 700F and it's ready to go, but 950 or so is better.

I'm currently cutting some pieces of wood slightly larger to give a longer burn per charge. Little twigs gets tedious.

There won't be any "crap" coming from me, just accolade for you ingenuity!

Would you share the size of the cutout? I.E. whats the length following the curve of the top and bottom edges of the opening you made?

Figure it's easy to judge and go but looks like you hit the dimension just right IMHO. My current lid has a "slight modification" from a drop a year or so ago. You might have given me an excuse to pick up a new one and modify the old one
icon_wink.gif
Use a sabre saw to do the cutting?

Hey Ray,
The lower cut, parallel to the flange, is 12". This was cut to accommodate the peel. So but that first and make the cut so you can get a peel comfortably in and out.

Then I just tapered by eye a few inches from the handle. The opening was intended to be just big enough to get the pie in but maintain most of the heat in the headspace.

And I used an angle grinder. The first one I did, I used a drill attachment / grinding wheel. I don't know if a saber saw would work, but with the right blade, I think it'd be fine.

I fell in love with my angle grinder. It floats through stuff like this.

The other thing I'm not sure of is if the big hole in the lower hemisphere is necessary. I don't think it is. I think this dome could sit atop any unmodified lower half and work the same way.

My current mod is a damaged lid from Hurrican Ike. Took a dent from a huge fallen limb.

Good luck!

Back