Weber being a little disingenuous

Unfortunately they have cheap labor and the bulk of the manufacturing is out there. Sometimes we have no other choice. I do try to buy USA versus "China made" when possible. I make it a point to look at where it's made before I buy most of my items. If no other choice then I guess we going to China made.

I always buy USA when I can, but companies and retailers need to understand that a "Made in the USA" sticker doesn't automatically allow them to charge 50% more.

What does "manufacturing" even mean anymore? 100 years ago Ford was building the Rouge River Complex. Raw materials would come in and vehicles would leave. There were no suppliers of components. Everything was made in-house, including the radio. Now we have a supply chain and "manufacturers" have become assemblers. Good for Weber that it still does quite a bit of "manufacturing" here. I figured after the family sold the business to vulture capitalists, everything would have been offshored, but that didn't happen. And after the Redhead LE debacle, I doubt Weber will offshore the manufacturing of any more kettles.

Last edited:
Sad thing is even "Made in USA" is open to interpretation. I think there was a requirement for the % of assembly in the US dictates when they can put that label on. As JGrotz said we've become assemblers and depending on the percentage of a particular product that was assembled overseas versus assembled here will determine if that "Made in USA" sticker makes it on the end product.

Weber was sued several ago for the "Made in the USA" labelling, which is why you see "designed and engineered in Palatine, IL" on the vents. They settled out of court. We would be hard-pressed to find a product with multiple components being made exclusively in the US.

Quite a bit of Weber Goods at the Spirit of America Showcase of goods manufactured in the US at the White House today.......Screenshot_20200702-205919.png

Yah, I heard Trump speaking at the gathering and he was listing products and places where made in the USA products were made and he mentioned "GRILLS" and Illinois which was an indirect shout out to Weber.

Back