Weber 9890 Gas Barbecue Rotisserie

I think the darn skewers are just chrome plated steel. But, I am shocked that vinegar would affect it unless the chrome plating was already compromised. I wonder what it would take to have a SS rod made. It would be super simple on a metal lathe using a piece of SS square stock.

Oxalic acid bath works great on rusty chrome parts, Never had any damage. I've restored many of those rusty chrome plated tool hooks to like new. They will rust again unless you keep up with them, spray them with some PAM cooking spray once in a while.

81BX2e7FMHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I think the darn skewers are just chrome plated steel. But, I am shocked that vinegar would affect it unless the chrome plating was already compromised. I wonder what it would take to have a SS rod made. It would be super simple on a metal lathe using a piece of SS square stock.

Forgot I had Evapo-Rust Rust Remover in storage.... *Facepalm* Should've tried this instead... Also you got me curious and looked for SS replacement rod. Ran into these https://www.onegrill.com/category_s/248.htm. Will have to take measure tomorrow and see if any would do.

Oxalic acid bath works great on rusty chrome parts, Never had any damage. I've restored many of those rusty chrome plated tool hooks to like new. They will rust again unless you keep up with them, spray them with some PAM cooking spray once in a while.

View attachment 33143
If I do anything big, I'll have to give this a try.

Also got the motor working.
EE5B4FB5-482D-44E1-987D-E2368DC37885.jpeg
It was pretty clean inside. Just removed all the gear and cleaned it up. That got it to work again. Time to think about how to use this guy!

Makes me Happy to here that you got the motor to work. Congrats!
You just proved once again that it can be done.
That motor looks very clean now. I am looking forward to here about how smooth it runs
once you reapply the grease.
I ordered the motor mounting bracket for my Weber #9890 Roto from the same https://www.onegrill.com/ website for the only thing mine did not have was that part when I bought it used.

Last edited:
Makes me Happy to here that you got the motor to work. Congrats!
You just proved once again that it can be done.
That motor looks very clean now. I am looking forward to here about how smooth it runs
once you reapply the grease.
I ordered the motor mounting bracket for my Weber #9890 Roto from the same https://www.onegrill.com/ website for the only thing mine did not have was that part when I bought it used.

That was a picture of it before it was cleaned up. Hah! Literally never used so guess whatever was there just got gunked. After I use the current rod and if it starts to get rust, may look for SS replacement from onegrill.

What do you normally cook on your roto?

That was a picture of it before it was cleaned up. Hah! Literally never used so guess whatever was there just got gunked. After I use the current rod and if it starts to get rust, may look for SS replacement from onegrill.

Honestly Joey,
I just picked mine up used just recently and have not used it yet.
The Seller I encountered was asking around $20 also but when she did not picture the motor mounting bracket and said her husband could not find it. I offered her $10 and she accepted. I then ordered the bracket off of the onegrill site to make mine work. Funny thing is that once I got the part I found my Platinum Grill and it came with the OEM motor bracket Free. So now I have 2 motor mount brackets. One for my 1000 and one for my Platinum. It is all good.

Joey, you can do anything that will stay stuck on it. Chicken, turkey, roasts and pineapple. Wings, thighs and fish if you buy a basket for it. I have seen people weave baby back ribs on it but I haven’t tried that yet.

Birds are fun to do that way, so is pork.

Now you guys have me thinking about my motor grease situation. My motor makes a little noise, like it's straining a bit when it's turning the heavy side. Is that normal?

The roto should have a counterbalance to even the load out. It will make some noise when working harder.

Birds are fun to do that way, so is pork.

Now you guys have me thinking about my motor grease situation. My motor makes a little noise, like it's straining a bit when it's turning the heavy side. Is that normal?
It is normal as Bruce says, but if it is an older one it might not be a bad idea to just pop the cover and check to see if the grease is drying out. It would add extra strain on the gears along with the unbalanced load.

Joey, you can do anything that will stay stuck on it. Chicken, turkey, roasts and pineapple. Wings, thighs and fish if you buy a basket for it. I have seen people weave baby back ribs on it but I haven’t tried that yet.
That just reminded me of the pineapple at Brazilian restaurants. Definitely going to try this.

View attachment 33143
Tim - Where do you get your oxalic acid? I just watched this very informative video on comparing rust removal methods.

Joey the chrome plating probably came off because there may have been rust underneath or maybe it was just a POS.

Tim - Where do you get your oxalic acid? I just watched this very informative video on comparing rust removal methods.

Joey the chrome plating probably came off because there may have been rust underneath or maybe it was just a POS.
That is a good video. I've had my bucket of oxalic acid powder so long I can't remember where I bought it. :)

Amazon sells it though.

Agree, very informative. I've used citric acid on grill frame parts and I've used electrolysis for frame parts and smaller part like the tank scale. Not sure it would work on chrome plated pieces though.

Back