Weber 2726 Fireplace – Damage/Restoration Question

Jeff_M_S

Hello Everyone, I recently scored a never been used 2726 Fireplace in almost perfect condition. The original owner let it sit outside uncovered for probably over 10 years. After a wash and clay bar treatment it cleaned up very nice (wood handles unfortunately rotten, one already crumbled). However, I uncovered some damage, where I assume, the fire pit top fell and hit the ground. And have a couple questions about repairs. Please look at the pictures below.

I am planning on using Rustoleum High Heat on the chips (painted with a fine tipped brush)

My main question is, what is causing the discoloration of the enamel (pearl like effect) and is that something I should be concerned about and address right now?

FYI, the area feels mostly smooth to the touch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_2427.JPEG

Damage
InkedIMG_2436_LI.jpg

Damage without flash
InkedIMG_2438_LI.jpg

Damage with Flash
IMG_2439.JPEG

For a fire pit, I'd sand those areas, clean them with Xylol, dry and then paint with the paint you mentioned above.

New handles are easy, same size as a kettle. If you want nice wood ones, look up River City Woodworks on Facebook. They do an excellent job.

For a fire pit, I'd sand those areas, clean them with Xylol, dry and then paint with the paint you mentioned above.

New handles are easy, same size as a kettle. If you want nice wood ones, look up River City Woodworks on Facebook. They do an excellent job.
Wow, I didn’t realize that whole area was a total loss. Thanks for your response!

I wouldn't really call it a total loss. It's just that fire pit is going to have some blazing hot logs burning on it. If it were mine, I'd paint those damaged areas.
As a compromise, I might just touch up the affected areas with a fine tipped brush with the paint. Worst case scenario is I have to sand in the future? OCD kicking in with the thought up sanding a larger area. Would that work?

As a compromise, I might just touch up the affected areas with a fine tipped brush with the paint. Worst case scenario is I have to sand in the future? OCD kicking in with the thought up sanding a larger area. Would that work?
Absolutely, that's actually what I intended to say. Just sand, clean and paint those bad spots. Didn't mean for you to think you needed to paint the entire fire pit.

You really could just use yours as is. It's in much better condition than mine was when I got it earlier this year.

If you don't already have one, consider getting a cover for it too.

Back