Weber 22.5 inch half cast iron grate

Just got my retail literature for 2011. Quite some changes in the Weber line. This is now available in U.S. as the "Weber Original Gourmet BBQ System". You can get it with Sear Grate or Griddle and optional Wok.
51WZofkYcTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41Er1O3Gk3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5121CWe902L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41iHonvU0%2BL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

we have these where i work, they are shipping out now..i think the one with the griddle is porcelin coated

Does anyone know if the weber chimney starter would fit into the opening where the cast iron accessories go, so you wouldn't have to remove the grate on a Performer to light coals?

Thanks

Originally posted by Alan Dively:
Does anyone know if the weber chimney starter would fit into the opening where the cast iron accessories go, so you wouldn't have to remove the grate on a Performer to light coals?

Thanks

Good idea but I think the handle would get in the way. It might work though.

My grate and griddle arrived yesterday from Amazon. It is a nice piece but the griddle finish is very grainy. It is like a grill pan that I bought last summer from Williams-Sonoma. That pan was 'panned' by a lot of reviewers because things stuck and clean-up was a hassle. Without even dealing with those issues, I went ahead and seasoned it like regular cast iron. No problems with sticking or cleaning.
I did the same with the Weber griddle. I don't know if it would have had the same problems as the WS pan, but it certainly won't with the nice finish that a good seasoning will produce.

Cast Iron with a nice smooth finish is nearly impossible to find anymore, so it will take a long long time to get that really nice smooth finish on anything Cast Iron. I *want* to look at Garage Sales and the such for the old stuff but I just don't have the time for that. (Pans, pots, etc)

I use Cast Iron to cook on whenever possible, I use Lodge Logic - good prices via amazon. Early summer I bought the Lodge Logic Hibochi (VWB credit already in link) Which fits perfectly inside the my Perfomer, or any 22.5" & larger grill. It's awesome, haven't used my Perfomer other than as a cover for my Hibochi since! Amazing how well you can control it with the vents & lid on the performer. I've cooked for 6 people on the Hibochi - looks small but it really is quite a bit of cooking space, and since its cast iron, it retains a ton of heat. I will post some pics!

Originally posted by Alan Dively:

Thanks

Alan,
The handle is just a bit too far extended from the chimney to fit in the opening.

Thanks Dan! I bought the cast iron grate package and am sure the wok will end up on Santa's list. Can't wait for the gartes to arrive this week!

Back