Weber 2022 Genesis S-335 Conversion LP>NG

Bill Collin

TVWBB Member
My 2012 Summit 670 rusted out on me last year and despite getting a huge number of new parts from Weber, the rusting cabinet simply isn’t going to be up to the task of supporting the cooking apparatus for the next decade. I switched over to a Big Green Egg for most of my cooking and have a WSM and Performer for other special situations. However, I still want/need a gas grill for quick cooks and for my wife to use when I’m not around.

So, when I ran across a Lowes closeout on on the LP version of the S-335 for $695, I snatched it up with the expectation I could manage to do a conversion to NG. I don’t need a $3500 Summit and the build on this new Genesis looks great for my current needs. It appears that the usual suspects in this area don’t really have kits for these models nailed down yet. So I need to either: A) Buy a new manifold for NG and install it or B) Find the right guy/gal to get me the parts I need otherwise.

Anyone have a parts source or other resources for this conversion since Weber obviously won’t touch it with a ten foot pole?

Hi Bill,

I'd hold out for an NG manifold coming available, but until then just deal with LPG.

I would also find the manual and schematic for the NG version of the 335 and see if it has a natural gas regulator in the cabinet or not. I read that four burner late, fairly new four burner genesis grills had a regulator but it wasn't obvious if the 335 was considered a four burner or not.

My 2012 Summit 670 rusted out on me last year and despite getting a huge number of new parts from Weber, the rusting cabinet simply isn’t going to be up to the task of supporting the cooking apparatus for the next decade. I switched over to a Big Green Egg for most of my cooking and have a WSM and Performer for other special situations. However, I still want/need a gas grill for quick cooks and for my wife to use when I’m not around.

So, when I ran across a Lowes closeout on on the LP version of the S-335 for $695, I snatched it up with the expectation I could manage to do a conversion to NG. I don’t need a $3500 Summit and the build on this new Genesis looks great for my current needs. It appears that the usual suspects in this area don’t really have kits for these models nailed down yet. So I need to either: A) Buy a new manifold for NG and install it or B) Find the right guy/gal to get me the parts I need otherwise.

Anyone have a parts source or other resources for this conversion since Weber obviously won’t touch it with a ten foot pole?
Converting a Weber can open a whole hornets nest of fun. Either live with it or try to find an actual NG manifold and (possibly regulator) though IDK if they use an inline regulator on that NG product.

Converting a Weber can open a whole hornets nest of fun. Either live with it or try to find an actual NG manifold and (possibly regulator) though IDK if they use an inline regulator on that NG product.

I initially got that same kind of feedback from this place. Then later, another rep emailed me back with a kit made just for this model that I must have missed - complete with instructions and a couple companion videos. Looks easy enough, but I think Weber has everyone scared to touch these. I’ll be giving it a go for the savings involved.

I hope it’s as easy as this looks:

Do yourself a favor. DO NOT trust these people. I have seen more people get in deep doo doo dealing with sheisters like this. They're all a bunch of crooks
I wanted to also add I'm not just speaking off the cuff. I have converted more grills (of many different brands for people than I can count. Weber grills are purposely made nearly "impossible" to convert in a safe and effective manner. Why? IDK but, believe me they're rough. It's almost never a simple orifice swap as the crooks on You Tube want you to believe who sell you orifices at 50x what they should cost. The valves on a Weber are different between fuel types. There is not a real reason for them to have to be, but they are. And this is especially true trying to go from LP to NG. Due to the differences it's impossible to get reliable flame output at the burner level. So, you now have partial flame outs on low/med heat levels. Gas leaking internally along with partial flame. You have potential for pretty good fire balls. But, hey. They're your eyebrows. So have fun. If you're lucky enough to have the correct valves it will work easily enough. If not, you may find out the hard way. Have fun

Last edited:
I initially got that same kind of feedback from this place. Then later, another rep emailed me back with a kit made just for this model that I must have missed - complete with instructions and a couple companion videos. Looks easy enough, but I think Weber has everyone scared to touch these. I’ll be giving it a go for the savings involved.

I hope it’s as easy as this looks:

Hi Bill,

I did a side by side comparison of two 2016 E330 valves in the thread linked below.

My hands-on, first-hand experience converting a natural gas grill to propane using orifices is that it runs hotter on low temps.

My opinion is that converting the other direction, from propane to natural gas changing only orifices has risk of the flame going out due to not enough gas.

Why? Internally, the LP valves are different than the NG valves. Here's one pic, more in the thread linked below where I compared two 2016 Genesis E330 valves side by side and did some temp tests as well.

In the end its your choice, yet I would strongly advice against an orifice swap from LP to NG.

1663873921594.png

Dan, this is the issue with Weber. Not all the valves they use are what you pictured. So it's a crapshoot if you don't have experience. You can end up with a grill that becomes actually dangerous at worst to perfectly working at best and in between one that is terribly inconvenient to use. Given my experience with Weber grills I'd say the chances of working correctly are about 10%. Not good odds IMO.

I wonder what a Green Egg would be like converted to propane?

Do yourself a favor. DO NOT trust these people. I have seen more people get in deep doo doo dealing with sheisters like this. They're all a bunch of crooks
I wanted to also add I'm not just speaking off the cuff. I have converted more grills (of many different brands for people than I can count. Weber grills are purposely made nearly "impossible" to convert in a safe and effective manner. Why? IDK but, believe me they're rough. It's almost never a simple orifice swap as the crooks on You Tube want you to believe who sell you orifices at 50x what they should cost. The valves on a Weber are different between fuel types. There is not a real reason for them to have to be, but they are. And this is especially true trying to go from LP to NG. Due to the differences it's impossible to get reliable flame output at the burner level. So, you now have partial flame outs on low/med heat levels. Gas leaking internally along with partial flame. You have potential for pretty good fire balls. But, hey. They're your eyebrows. So have fun. If you're lucky enough to have the correct valves it will work easily enough. If not, you may find out the hard way. Have fun
Appreciate that - and it’s exactly why I’m here asking. So, if I were to replace the entire manifold and add a regulator I should be ok? Seems like everything else is the same.

Yep, all you need to do is acquire the proper manifold and regulator and go to town. It's the safest way to go. I've done them both ways and that is the easiest. (by both ways I mean disassembling and modding each valve). Of course once you do that you cannot go "backwards".

Yep, all you need to do is acquire the proper manifold and regulator and go to town. It's the safest way to go. I've done them both ways and that is the easiest. (by both ways I mean disassembling and modding each valve). Of course once you do that you cannot go "backwards".

Now I just need to find one. Not surprising they are widely at online suppliers. I guess I can use propane until I can track it down. Haven’t tried Weber directly, will they sell it without an appropriate serial number

5F955583-E618-4EAE-8FD3-2DEB4ACA382F.png

Now I just need to find one. Not surprising they are widely at online suppliers. I guess I can use propane until I can track it down. Haven’t tried Weber directly, will they sell it without an appropriate serial number

View attachment 59944
If you take a valve apart, you can check to see if it's multi fuel compatible. If it has 3 distinct "holes" on the spool it's not multi fuel compatible. If it has a continuous "slot" no holes you should be able to do a simple orifice, hose and regulator swap

Well, after 15 years on NG it was hard, but I bit the bullet and bought the freshest looking Blue Rhino LP tank in the three cages at Lowes. Did a nice cleaning and burn-off to remove all the factory oils and ended up with a fantastic pork loin roast for my troubles by the time the day was done. I’ll patiently wait for the NG manifold to be ready and enjoy it without tank worries. Thanks for everyone’s comments.

Attachments

• 51F75CF7-8FA0-4012-B5B1-E43B9317289D.jpeg
    51F75CF7-8FA0-4012-B5B1-E43B9317289D.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 3

Back