Weber 2009 Restoration

JohnS FL

TVWBB Member
Back in August I was browsing my local FB marketplace and came across a Genesis 3 burner for $50. Looked to be in decent shape, so I arranged for a friend to pick it up for me. 7CCAE112-D230-4FA1-BBDF-AE8002FCE692.jpeg

Looks decent right? Well this is what greeted me when I opened the door 🤮
06C5A4AB-B534-4581-B689-9FC8046079E7.jpeg
Not so decent! So I started searching online to see what others had done before me. That brought me to the TVWBB forums where I discovered that many were discouraged from buying these models because the exact same rust issues.

Undeterred, I set to work. How bad could it be?
First step was disassembly.
A668E154-F9E3-4AC6-B5B6-32EE87D4FF34.jpeg

Then cutting off of the left side panel and disposal of the back and bottom panels and doors. Was particularly inspired by @Kyle in Woodstock and his build thread with similar issues.

B69E7DA5-1A6C-4E95-8883-C2F582220510.jpeg
E7678C86-8119-4CDB-982A-CB39AEAAFDEB.jpeg

I also fabricated some brackets that I planned to put cedar slats on to strengthen the bottom.

79CDD537-A63A-4778-9AD5-16AA074CFBFE.jpeg

Next I cut down some cedar and pine to fashion slats for the sides and bottom.

6BAA60B0-BED2-4EFD-86BD-F0EBC6B82721.jpeg

B73CD6B9-07A5-4D3A-B226-BAF52D430F58.jpeg

I picked out some stain and spray painted the remaining panels black. Used high heat for the top ends of the frame.

Here she is in the beginning of reassembly:

540DE96D-EFCA-4B59-A939-C3335E2FD076.jpeg

And finally completed!

CC0F6E95-BCA7-4A5D-B39E-EA6AD00453E1.jpeg
788B38FB-9B6A-4B04-901F-4A4247E13C81.jpeg

Pretty happy with how it turned out!

Well done. And you get some extra storage by outboarding the tank. How is the balance with a full tank?
It is definitely heavier on the right side. Not sure what the solution is there…maybe mount a spare tank on the other side? That would make it that much harder to move though. Open to suggestions!

Last edited:
That looks great. nice work. If it doesn’t already have cast iron grates….they might help with the weight distribution too.

John, that is a great custom restore. Very nice.

Unless you are worried about the tank causing the grill to tip, I wouldn't worry about it. I am not sure of the dimensions on the E3xx grills, but the outboarded older grills don't seem to have a balance issue.
You could install a little longer hose and move the tank to the other side since the manifold and other spare weight is on the right, but then that would likely mean messing with the wood left side.

Oh, can you list how you installed the casters on the legs and provide links to parts that you used. That looks great on your grill.

Oh, can you list how you installed the casters on the legs and provide links to parts that you used. That looks great on your grill.
Sure - so the legs were quite rusty when I received the grill. I used JB weld combined with steel salvaged from the back panel to strengthen them as much as possible. Measuring the legs showed them to have an outside length of 1 1/4.

I found these caster inserts on eBay:

Then it was a bit of searching to find the right casters that had the correct stem style and size. I settled on these:

AAGUT Caster Wheels,4 Inch TPR Heavy Duty 7/16"x 1-3/8" Stem Mount Castors with Locking Brakes and Sockets, Swivel Wheel for Grill Replacement,4 Packs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DCRFZ7L/?tag=tvwb-20

After the JBweld was dry but prior to paint, I inserted the caster inserts, and then installed the casters once paint was dry.

Well done. Can you post a pic underneath- I'd like to see how
you mounted the the grease pan and holder.
It is one of these clipped onto the drip pan.

Uniflasy 7515 Grill Catch Pan Holder/ Drip Pan/ Grease Collection Pan Replacement Parts for Weber Genesis 1000-5500, Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum, Genesis II Series, Platinum I/II, and Summit Grills https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FQ6PKPG/?tag=tvwb-20

Much cleaner look in my opinion than the whole metal framing that is standard. Time will tell how reliable it is hah

Color me very impressed. Very nice original job. I am sure this will be a model for some going forward. Thanks for documenting and sharing!

Back