Weber 1200 NG to LPG

Mike Tee

TVWBB Fan
Hi,

A 1200 with the side table (rather than burner) has become available. I live in Canada, so sourcing an alt manifold is not easy or cheap.

In my last thread it was clarified that it’s wasn’t a simple swap, but I do have a spare silver b manifold and regulator so if possible to swap things around somehow I could do that.

is there a solution? It has flavour bars and stainless grills so it seems pretty plug and play.

thanks for any help!

MT

At first, I thought you were talking about a Q1200. But I see it is the Genesis 1200 now. No, a Silver B manifold won't fit. You need to find a Genesis 1000-5000 manifold and swap that in. Larry M. can chime in, but you might be able to drill out the orifices (or have him do it) for little cost and that might be a solution as well....not sure on that though.

Have not seen anything. Sadly nothing from the B or C series will fit on a X000 series grill re the manifolds, valves and so on. So your only option is to find a full manifold. If you were going LP to NG I would have been happy to do the deed for you and send it back but going NG to LP is all but impossible to do properly

Have not seen anything.

Wait! You are Larry m? I found a user named Larry M and messaged them!

I just saw a redhead 1000 I think. Grease tray is burned out, but the rest looks good! Can I swap grease tray from silver b?

Attachments

• A7DF4622-5C9F-4CD3-9A67-018A37F3A405.jpeg
    A7DF4622-5C9F-4CD3-9A67-018A37F3A405.jpeg
    857.3 KB · Views: 16
If you are talking about the small tray that hangs below the bigger enameled tray, then those are interchangeable. I don't think the bigger enameled trays are interchangeable, but don't hold me to that.

and yes, Larry the propane guys is Larry Micheals.

Wait! You are Larry m? I found a user named Larry M and messaged them!

I just saw a redhead 1000 I think. Grease tray is burned out, but the rest looks good! Can I swap grease tray from silver b?
Yep that's me and no I don't know if the grease funnel portion will fit between models

It may be worse off than I thought, I just got more photos. It's the bracket holding the bigger enameled tray that is the problem. Not sure if I can fix that. https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/kvQAAOSwhYheyYuw/$_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Can you help me understand so I can see what I'm looking at?
Deeper firebox = 1000-5000
What about the genesis platinums that have thermoplastic or SS sidetables and/or handles but flat burner control knobs?

Assuming the two above work together, Which parts are interchangeable with the silver/gold series? Only the grills?

MT

Last edited:
Those are the drip pan slide rails. Very common that they are rotted out. You will need to replace them. But, your biggest issue might be removing them in the first place, without twisting off the screws holding them in.
Check this how to out?

The picture above is a Genesis 1000-5000 and likely has Durawood slat tables. The newer generation Silver/Gold/Platinum B/C grills had the thermoplastic tables.. The Platinums and I think some Gold's had the stainless steel inlaid tables. Most of the Silver gold platinum stuff is interchangable, but not all.

When it comes to interchangeability between the 1000-5000 and the Silver Gold grills, the lids and cooking grates are the main things that can be swapped out, but not a lot more. If you are looking to do a rehab, I would make sure any donor grills are the same family to maximize the comparability in parts.

Cool. I have a driver, so I could try! I saw your other thread about making your own drip pan rails.. for $75 does it make sense to pick up that redhead or am I better off hoping to find something else in better shape?

this is the season for me to find one - in a few weeks or less people will have finished their spring cleaning. A week ago there were so few used Weber grills for sale, and now a handful every day.

Mike, the genesis 1000 with the wood slats is OK, but you would likely want to replace all the wood at a minimum. If you have the tools and know how, that isn't a big deal. I personally think you can do better. I tell everyone that I buy at least a dozen genesis grills every summer and never pay more than $50 for any of them. Really, you could just as easy see that very same grill for free as a curb pickup. But, if you just want a grill for personal use and want to get started on it, it probably isn't a bad deal. If you do go for it, offer $50 or less. If it has been on the market for over a week, offer $35.

Thanks! I will hope to find one in the next couple weeks. If I don’t, it’s not like my silver B isn’t working fine...

and there aren’t that many older Weber’s for sale in this area - it will sell!

Last edited:
In my limited experience helping a friend find a weber in Canada, it seems that they prices are much higher (possibly due to import tax) than here in the USA. Its possible that 75 is a pretty good price in Canada. But that's dependent on condition and the ability to get parts.

I made an offer on the 1200, thinking I could pick up the redhead and mix and match, but sadly the redhead is gone! So
I will need an LPG manifold and regulator..

Edit: if anyone is selling a compatible manifold/regulator and it’s not insane to ship to Canada, let me know.

edit2: any red flags to watch out for? I will try to pick up tomorrow am.

Last edited:
Not really that difficult. You may have to break off the bolt on the left side, otherwise not a big deal
Also BTW the burners between NG and LP are the same. Once the fuel is metered the tubes themselves don't care whether it's NG or LP

If you have the right tools and you can grip the bolt head, all it takes and a couple of turn and the bolt will snap off.

To answer your question about fitting it in your car. I usually pop off the cotton pins and remove the hood. Take out as many removable parts and but them in a box. The i slide the frame on it's side with the fire box still attached into my SUV. Was easier when I had my minivan. Get tight in my 3 row SUV.

Back