Weber 1000/2000 refurb.

CPine

TVWBB Member
I am terrible in that I did not take any before pictures. Th story goes there was a weber 1000 for sale on Craigslist. Good bones except the legs on the left side were rusted through. (I discovered this much later) The 2000 came available for free on craigslist so I responded and went and picked it up It was converted to natural gas. No worries! So I have begun putting best of the parts together to complete this 2000 OR genesis II They even had the manual with it! So standard deal: clean until I can't hardly stand cleaning any longer. Sanded and repainted frame. Between the two there was a set of stainless steel flavorizer bars and Stainless grates. The igniter on the original 1000 was pretty sad even though it still sparked the other one looks brand new! I got some minor hardware but most of it I was able to reuse. I am looking online to order some end caps for the frame tubing ends... I like how it looks so far! Love the red head! By the way another weber genesis came available the other day and went and got it for free also. Its a more modern one with full cabinet and all. Now I have a problem . A good problem, but which one do I keep. I know keep them both! :) We will see. Love this forum! I will continue to post more photo's as I progress. I still need to get the woodworking done. I have some nice white oak for that! I think based on the Serial number it is a 1994?

OH! I did paint the tub with high heat paint as well. and the sides of the lid. Amongst other parts...

Attachments

• 499CE955-28D6-4571-9D08-59EC808E1ABF.jpeg
    499CE955-28D6-4571-9D08-59EC808E1ABF.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 0504019C-EECA-4D6A-8D68-17BBBF6FB6CA.jpeg
    0504019C-EECA-4D6A-8D68-17BBBF6FB6CA.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 81
  • D2A32D9F-A4D7-48DB-A458-18EB56419DF2.jpeg
    D2A32D9F-A4D7-48DB-A458-18EB56419DF2.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 69
  • C0849C43-06D9-4C3A-AC06-A71400B66740.jpeg
    C0849C43-06D9-4C3A-AC06-A71400B66740.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 0F33CE6D-E561-4ED2-930F-15888ED5D8C7.jpeg
    0F33CE6D-E561-4ED2-930F-15888ED5D8C7.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
This grill is definitely older than 1994. The Genesis 2 had a serial number that did not date code it, therefore unable to tell the exact age. The L3 indicates a Propane Genesis 2 model. These were made between 1985 and 1992. Very cool piece of Weber history.

The thin metal support for the swing table and the “T” lower frame are also features used on early models such as the gen 2

An actual Genesis 2 would not have any casters. Would be straight legs. Casters came on 2000
I wondered about that. The drawing on the cover of the manual does not show casters. If you leave the castors off it is obvious that is not right. So maybe, like you say, it's just a 2000? and the manual was just either from another grill or maybe it was just the generic manual they gave with the 2000 as well? if I am understanding correctly?

Last edited:
That is mostly an older frame with some newer parts. The fuel gauge is mounted wrong. Nice find though!
Gerry
Do you mean the scale mechanism? how is it wrong? Are you referring to the side of the post that it is on? I have two scales one from each model. I thought the one with the offset pointer went this one, so I used it. I have the other scale with a strait pointer perhaps that would explain it! :) I think that actually is it! After looking at a 1000 picture it shows that kind of scale! What other newer parts do you see? I appreciate the insight. This may be a hybrid model before its over! :)

Last edited:
Do you mean the scale mechanism? how is it wrong? Are you referring to the side of the post that it is on? I have two scales one from each model. I thought the one with the offset pointer went this one, so I used it. I have the other scale with a strait pointer perhaps that would explain it! :) I think that actually is it! After looking at a 1000 picture it shows that kind of scale! What other newer parts do you see? I appreciate the insight. This may be a hybrid model before its over! :)
Correct. On the older Webers, that scale would have been on the other side of the leg, and the pointer would have been straight.
It looks like the top part of the frame is older. I see where the igniter button mounts to the frame, it looks like a single round hole (Hard to tell). The newer ones used a larger hole next to the smaller hole. That way, you could install the igniter by lifting it up from the bottom and sliding it over. The real old ones used that same cross member next to the firebox

1665926481392.png

Also, you have the old style bracket that holds the left side of the swing up table. Let's see a picture of that as well as any swinging table parts.
The legs on the left side with the casters came off of a newer grill. Newer grills had two of those long bottom tubes, one in front and one in back. I can see holes in the legs to accommodate that. The older grills had wide boards like the picture in the manual you have.
You have the old style wheels (In good shape!).
I can't tell but it looks like you have a newer control panel. I'd have to see how the igniter button mounts to it.

I documented a lot of these differences when I rebuilt a couple of older grills I had. You can scroll through the pictures in this thread on the forum: https://tvwbb.com/threads/restoration-projects-1992-genesis-1-and-late-80s-genesis-2.76238/

You have a great grill there! Nice work so far!

Gerry

Edit to add: That lid looks to be from a much newer grill. The old ones didn't have a swinging basket in the lid. Later grills had one swinging basket near the back of the lid. Your lid looks like it has provisions for two swinging baskets. I don't know when that started, but I think it was much later.

Last edited:
Correct. On the older Webers, that scale would have been on the other side of the leg, and the pointer would have been straight.
It looks like the top part of the frame is older. I see where the igniter button mounts to the frame, it looks like a single round hole (Hard to tell). The newer ones used a larger hole next to the smaller hole. That way, you could install the igniter by lifting it up from the bottom and sliding it over. The real old ones used that same cross member next to the firebox

View attachment 61109

Also, you have the old style bracket that holds the left side of the swing up table. Let's see a picture of that as well as any swinging table parts.
The legs on the left side with the casters came off of a newer grill. Newer grills had two of those long bottom tubes, one in front and one in back. I can see holes in the legs to accommodate that. The older grills had wide boards like the picture in the manual you have.
You have the old style wheels (In good shape!).
I can't tell but it looks like you have a newer control panel. I'd have to see how the igniter button mounts to it.

I documented a lot of these differences when I rebuilt a couple of older grills I had. You can scroll through the pictures in this thread on the forum: https://tvwbb.com/threads/restoration-projects-1992-genesis-1-and-late-80s-genesis-2.76238/

You have a great grill there! Nice work so far!

Gerry

Edit to add: That lid looks to be from a much newer grill. The old ones didn't have a swinging basket in the lid. Later grills had one swinging basket near the back of the lid. Your lid looks like it has provisions for two swinging baskets. I don't know when that started, but I think it was much later.
You are very good with your observations. The fact is the grill bucket and lid are from the 1000 (I already had it cleaned up before I acquired the 2000 and it looked to be the better of the two) It does indeed have a place to put either two swinging baskets or you can move the location to two different places. The lp manifold was from the 1000 also as the one that came with the 2000 was shade tree joe modified for Natural gas. They welded a pipe connector to it and had a long pipe running down the back of the frame to hook up the hose for natural gas. In looking roughly out in the dark tonight I don't see anyplace on the other lid for hanging basket. So yes it probably is newer. The igniter is mounted like you say single hole. This had wide boards and they were redone at some point by previous owner they used redwood and it was very ugly and weathered. The wheels are structurally good shape. The back one I just removed the white wall as it was disintegrating. I see a guy on etsy sells replacement 3d printed sidewalls I am entertaining buying some and replacing them. The control panel (I can get some more pictures maybe tomorrow) has the button on a pivot pin on the backside metal bracket as apposed to the plastic frame type like on the 1000 if you know what I mean. Thanks! I enjoy the discussion!!!
VR
Chris

The control panel (I can get some more pictures maybe tomorrow) has the button on a pivot pin on the backside metal bracket as apposed to the plastic frame type like on the 1000 if you know what I mean.

I have an early Genesis 2 that has this type mount for the igniter. If it is like mine, it doesn't have an 8006 number in the lower left corner so it pre-dates that style.

For the white part of the wheel, there's a guy "Chuck" on weber kettle club that custom 3d prints them. I'm tempted to redo mine at some point.

I have an early Genesis 2 that has this type mount for the igniter. If it is like mine, it doesn't have an 8006 number in the lower left corner so it pre-dates that style.

For the white part of the wheel, there's a guy "Chuck" on weber kettle club that custom 3d prints them. I'm tempted to redo mine at some point.
I think that is the same guy I saw on etsy! Very cool!

Looks good.

Do you have pics of the newer one? It's hard for us to suggest which one to keep without seeing the other one.

Well, not really. Just keep them both!
Here is the other one! Is basically good! Needs new igniter and flavorizer bars. Could use new casters as one wheel as a flat spot.

Attachments

• 664931EE-224A-48F3-9E7F-0BBD9DC08529.jpeg
    664931EE-224A-48F3-9E7F-0BBD9DC08529.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 8

Back