Weather proof?

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
Probably really stupid question. I'm trying to make some more space in the garage and attached work room and am considering what things I can simply move outside. I have gaps between the boards on the top of my work table.
y4mm-QC5ma4S6LPQS4VdZWTuT3F8zk_8wkqm4TdAh7lzmwjNI3Be5__hywEvfWZgD_YteUrIAuhM-OMlO-uwLhWqWLLNVerop-w85nCMfLKkkFWCiSvWV1wyy_Fo_lzMa7tC_JUsEmF-zCXV-mIaofL2Vk6iVrvESxp7ajHguHL2G5XuBC511kl9ErYIYp9Pg2veHW6Sf-xpvT36d8VJlLONg

If I simply build shelves on my work table, maybe add some wood on the sides to make it look better, can I put my chimney starters, charcoal baskets, rib racks, vortex, Weber tongs/spatula, and elevated grates out there without any issues from rain (rust or otherwise)? Or should I put in the extra materials and work to try and make an enclosed, dry area under there to store them? Same question with my charcoal bin.

y4mZSbU9A62hl3zC-Tf_tejrLvactGT5v_EGO39Izy7Ur4SzlBHaNqhoMbHU4koE-Ii87r5y_ro_miSnyFhwEI1bVofW3B7MY-a3qNl4fw74Ey85NE5rGekohA6yr9wJNXcgL0jrgf1d4BKgvPSgtZY_szTyqpNNh1T9aeFztlSYfYLiTtr4ryQcgRhErdXf1Q250c5UMwNrlbJ2XlEQdYvVQ

If I keep that outside, is it going to leak or will high humidity mess up the charcoal in it?

can I put my chimney starters, charcoal baskets, rib racks, vortex, Weber tongs/spatula, and elevated grates out there without any issues from rain (rust or otherwise)?
I keep all that stuff outside, under a small covered gazebo. It still will get wet, damp, but I wash the utensils before using to get rid of dust.
Charcoal I keep in the garage.
I have an elevated garage tote storage rack that uses rails that I use for some of my BBQ tools. It's basically an H (sideways) you mount to your trusses or joists, and you can slide totes in and out.

I use a sturdy horizontal deck box for charcoal (lump and briquette), plate setter, soapstone, etc. I live in a pretty humid area and it doesn't seem to bother the charcoal that much. There is a little more smoke as it gets going, but nothing significant, and its worth it to free up space elsewhere.

I keep my charcoal inside the garage and basement because it's so humid here in GA. I keep all my BBQ tools hanging out side. They get rained on, but doesn't see to hurt them. I have noticed the chimney rusts much quicker when left out in the rain, so I try to bring that in the garage or basement when I can remember. I usually keep my wood chunks and chips in the bins of my performers....they don't get wet, but I imagine they get a little humid.

Anything that I don't store in my enclosed bottom Genesis go into heavy duty Rubbermaid tubs with latching lids. Even keeps the dust down to a minimum and everything stays dry.

Bulk charcoal lives in the garage, I have used one of those kingsford bins for almost ten years with NO issues, some people do. It lives outside under a work table but it does get exposed to weather! You can just see the handle sticking out :E4ADEE42-1B63-4326-9115-15489330DEBB.jpeg

Back