Waygu Chuck Roast

I looked at this article. I can tell you the level af marbling was say 60/40 meat/fat so I am not sure where this is on this scale. I can say the taste was wonderful and what I really liked was the way the marbling was spread thru the meat real evenly.

Hey steve is that market any good for meat. Bristol? HOw does it compare to whole foods in regards to beef?

I've actually had good luck at the Ralphs in Del Mar Highlands. The meat selection there is much better than other Ralphs, probably due to its location. And I mean, getting really marbled Porters USDA Choice (I mean really marbled) that are dry aged for $6 or $7 a lb is not a bad deal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
Hey steve is that market any good for meat. Bristol? HOw does it compare to whole foods in regards to beef?

I've actually had good luck at the Ralphs in Del Mar Highlands. The meat selection there is much better than other Ralphs, probably due to its location. And I mean, getting really marbled Porters USDA Choice (I mean really marbled) that are dry aged for $6 or $7 a lb is not a bad deal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never been to Ralphs in Del Mar I need to check it out. The Meat at Bristol Farms was very good, I have good luck at Sprouts for all natural beef at a reasonable price, I live in the east county. I went to Bristol for the waygu and to try their "air chilled" free range chicken. Both were good. I tried also 2 8oz Ribeye on the Traeger (cooked at 425 for 6 minutes a side then went to smoke and finished at 135 internal). Very tasty but was a little dry. Have you tried Tip Top Meats? I belive it is in Carlsbad I have never been there but hear it is good.

Hm, well being out in east county it might not be worth the drive to the Ralphs. It's just a notch better than other ralphs, but they do have an aging fridge right there a la whole foods. They can cut to order some of their premium dry aged prime stuff.

No i have not tried Tip Top Meats. I'll check it out, I'm in Solana Beach. Also been meaning to try Iowa Farms and another one in Poway. Too bad there is no good butcher in my neck of the woods.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Hilmer:
Here is the final report. I went to 194 internal. I let it rest for 1 hour. My knife went thru nice and easy. I sliced it into 1 by 2 chunks and served over some dirty rice with juice added on top. No sauce required. The level of beef flavor was intense. I think this could be done as kabobs with skewers over a hot lump charcoal with spices and be good in another way, still pink. But it does a very wonderful long smoke. I do not know if it had any benefit to remove and refoil, might be better to just go until 165 and foil to 195-200. Thank you Larry and Kevin for all your thoughts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like a very successful smoke...congrats! I did a Waygu brisket a few months ago that knocked my socks off. I'll have to look in to a chuckie as well. Thanks for the play by play.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back