Waterpan Refill

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
How long do you go before a refill?

On my last cook, it was dry in 5 hours. After refill, I went 7 hours and still had plenty of h2o. Standard weber pan.

I go the whole cook because I use sand. When I use water, I did notice that as the fat dripped from what I was cooking that the evaportion of water slowed. I don't think most people refill the pan more than once in an overnight cook unless they're just topping it off. It will be interesting to hear some comments. I think 10+ hours on one pan should be about right.

Also in the begining you have that huge mass of charcoal. Even if using the MM it's still a big mass of heat right under the water pan. After that starts to get smaller you have all the drippings and fat in the pan which makes it seem that the water is not going down. It's going down but being replaced by fat and juice from the meat.
icon_wink.gif

I cannot for the life of me remember how long I'd go with the stock pan. I know I'd re-fill once but I can't remember the interval. And it wasn't that long ago. I'm thinking 6 or 7 hours but I might be off, probably am. Post-Brinkmann I go the duration. On long cooks it gets quite low (like, preactically nothing) but I don't bother re-filling--it's getting near the end of the cook anyway, not a lot of fuel left, etc.

I use the standerd pan and I have found that after the first 3- 3 1/2 hours it needs filling or it will boil with the little bit of water left in it. But I have found that after that it goes longer with out needing a refill. Why?-I have no idea. I think Bryans answer makes sense.

Refilled it at 4.5 hours yesterday. Used a good ol' fashioned garden house that I had crimped to stop the flow. Worked great.

I don't like to let it boil to the very bottom though as the fat and such bakes on too the enamel pan.

Still looking for the Brinkmann pan in Chicagoland. Can't find one.

AR

Art - i can't help on a source from chicago, but i got mine from Brinkman directly. web site says 2-3 weeks, if u order on-line. Give them a phone call at the 800 # on the website.(after many redials at this time of year). I found out talking to the guy at Brinkman that order over the phone cuts the delivery time way down. i ordered on a late thursday, 3 weeks ago, and it was delivered in 7 calendar days to my door. shipping was cheap, compared to gas to run around town looking for one.

hope this assists.

butch

Art,

$7.50 total cost to order from bass pro online, can't beat that with delivery through the mail.

As far as the post goes... Standard pan I went 6 hours with no need to refill, but any longer would have needed some extra water, Brinkman char. pan ran all evening and night with no need for extra.

Good luck,
Josh

Did a 10 hour cook over the weekend with the brinkman pan. After it was done, it looked like only about a third of the water had evaporated. I think you could probably go 20 hours on a brinkman...

I sqeezed about 7 hours out of my standard pan for an overnight Butt/Brisket cook. After one refill it was fine for the duration.

I figure on 8-10 hours in the standard pan, depending on wind and how well I've controlled temp.

I usually let it get pretty low toward the end as it's less to dispose of.

Back