Water VS Sand

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
Ok I know that this has probably been discussed several times. My primary smoker is a WSM. When I use my WSM I put water in the water pan. I have read where many others use sand in the water pan. Can you tell me what the advantages are to using sand in your water pan? Does your meat come out moist without the steam from the water? Please let me know all of the pros and cons of sand verses water. Thanks!

Hey Darin, I recently switched from water to sand (ECB charcoal pan used). I didn't notice any difference in moisture in the meat. I inject my meat and baste also. I basically wanted an easier way to cleanup. You can also easily transfer any drippings and keep them for side dishes.

Dan, sand is good! I think the waiter adding steam to the cook is a bunch of BS more than anything...give it a try and see what you think!
icon_smile.gif

I use sand for all of my overnight cooks right now. For me, the major advantage is that you never have to replenish it. The most signficant disadvantage for me is that it can be harder to bring down high temperatures. Water won't get hotter than 212 degrees...it boils and the steam goes out the top. I have no idea what the boiling temperature of sand is..
icon_wink.gif
It isn't in the "smoking range" of temperatures though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I have no idea what the boiling temperature of sand is..
icon_wink.gif
It isn't in the "smoking range" of temperatures though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only is it not in the "smoking range" but you'd melt down the WSM long, long befor you even got near it.
icon_eek.gif

I use either water or nothing, and sometimes I dont even use the pan at all (of course my guru controls the temp then). I guess I don't mind the clean-up, and using the brinkman pan I usually only need to replenish the water once on an overnighter.

Sand vs water is really just a matter of personal preference.

Darin, use the WSM pan. Foil it. Forget the sand. Watch your temps on the way up. When you get within 10-20 degrees where you want to be cut all your vents to about 1/3 and wait till it settles in. Use the Minion Method and about 20 lit coals.

Back