water pan vs clay flower pot

Glen D

I am a total novice to smoking and recently bought a 18 1/2 WSM. Used it last week for a pork butt and was pleased with the result. I amthinking about trying a clay pot in the water pan instead of water. WHat diameter pot base would I use. Any concerns with doing this? Thanks for any help

i have a 22.5 and i use a 16 inch clay pot. works great! easier cleanup and easier to manage temps IMO

Take the water pan with you to see how the clay pot base fits. I think 12 " is too small. The right clay base won't fit completely down into the water pan, but that's ok. When foiled, it should sit up off the water pan base a bit and the top will be a bit higher than the top of the water pan.
I just looked. The 12 inch will be too small. Mine is in my smoker now, but I think it is 14 inches. I have an 18" wsm.

Last edited:
Take the water pan with you to see how the clay pot base fits. I think 12 " is too small. The right clay base won't fit completely down into the water pan, but that's ok. When foiled, it should sit up off the water pan base a bit and the top will be a bit higher than the top of the water pan.
I just looked. The 12 inch will be too small. Mine is in my smoker now, but I think it is 14 inches. I have an 18" wsm.

ok great. really looking forward to saturday!!!!

There is another method too. You can substitute the water pan for the clay saucer entirely. I did this all last year. That way if you have the new model of WSM you eliminate the clearance issue above the charcoal ring. For a better fit undo the grill strap bolts at the bottom (4) and slip two 1/4" washers between the body and each grill strap. This will bring the bottom tabs in a bit closer for a tighter fit. You will have no interference with the bottom grill grate.

A metal disc also works well too and will not crack due to thermal shock. I would not use the saucer for HH cooks.

I use the 14" in the 18.5 and fits snug. Good points Gary. Time to shop for a disc.

Well...just my opinion but a thin gauge waterpan acts more as a diffuser so it blocks the direct heat. The clay saucer does the same but because of the thermal mass it also absorbs heat and radiates heat the thought being it will help to stablize temps more than just thin metal.
I have a heavy metal tray I've been using lately. Same size as the saucer and I do not have to worry about thermal shock with it. I really liked the saucer but I cracked two of them last year so thought I would try something metal. I have not used my smoker much this year since I built the big kettle so not sure which I prefer. I still use water for my ribs though. I like them better that way.
Best thing is...try the saucer for yourself, many members like them. There're not expensive. A metal plow disc will work too.

The idea is, the saucer not only creates a buffer, but also helps the consistency of the radiated indirect heat. I never use water in my 22" and went exclusively to the 16" saucer after my 2nd cook, and haven't looked back. I might have to spritz a little more often, but avoiding the mess of the water and the extra fuel you use was a great trade off imho.

I'm a steel disk in the pan user, for me that has been the easiest thing I've tried for temp control next to water and I have yet to notice any significant change in moisture or flavor. It has been said here many times, go ahead and try different things and see which works best for you besides it gives you another good excuse to cook more.

There is another method too. You can substitute the water pan for the clay saucer entirely. I did this all last year. That way if you have the new model of WSM you eliminate the clearance issue above the charcoal ring. For a better fit undo the grill strap bolts at the bottom (4) and slip two 1/4" washers between the body and each grill strap. This will bring the bottom tabs in a bit closer for a tighter fit. You will have no interference with the bottom grill grate.

A metal disc also works well too and will not crack due to thermal shock. I would not use the saucer for HH cooks.

I'm with Gary, though I've never used a metal disc. In fact, other than 20 years ago in some other smoker, I've never used a water pan in my 22 WSM. Nary a problem with temp's from low 200's to much higher. No clean up mess other than folding up tin foil to throw away. I tin foil it all, and then before cooking I criss cross the pot with a layer of tin foil to prevent having to refoil the clay pot. If just cooking on the top shelf, I will also put an aluminum pan over the clay pot to catch the dripping. And yes, I buy the 500 foot rolls of tin foil at Sam's though it only takes a few feet of foil for each cook..................................d

What you want to do is buy a brinkman charcoal pan and a clay saucer to fit in it (it's 12" or 14", can't remember). Foil both and you're good to go. Put foil over both for each cook to catch drippings.

Has anybody tried not using a pan or flower pot? What are the results?
It seems any drippings would burn up on the coals below and add some flavor?

What you want to do is buy a brinkman charcoal pan and a clay saucer to fit in it (it's 12" or 14", can't remember). Foil both and you're good to go. Put foil over both for each cook to catch drippings.

For the 18.5 it's the 14". I have one but have yet to use it.

I spent a year or so fighting temps with a modified ECB with the water pan filled with construction sand and foiled over. Self inflicted torture, yes, but I learned a ton (especially about fire control), so it was worth it IMO.
Got the WSM, and things have been so much easier since. Temps are very easy to control and maintain, so I'm scared that adding a heat sink might mess things up. I only use water in the pan for ribs and sometimes butts, otherwise it sits foiled.

For the 18.5 it's the 14". I have one but have yet to use it.

I spent a year or so fighting temps with a modified ECB with the water pan filled with construction sand and foiled over. Self inflicted torture, yes, but I learned a ton (especially about fire control), so it was worth it IMO.
Got the WSM, and things have been so much easier since. Temps are very easy to control and maintain, so I'm scared that adding a heat sink might mess things up. I only use water in the pan for ribs and sometimes butts, otherwise it sits foiled.

Chris, the Brinkman pan is a dream to use, nice wide rim and not as deep as the new model WSM water pan. Like you I prefer water to do ribs and use mine for that purpose. I find(my own opionion) the Brinkman pan to be very thin on the bottom so I do not use it dry pan for fear of burning through it at some point.

Chris, the Brinkman pan is a dream to use, nice wide rim and not as deep as the new model WSM water pan. Like you I prefer water to do ribs and use mine for that purpose. I find(my own opionion) the Brinkman pan to be very thin on the bottom so I do not use it dry pan for fear of burning through it at some point.

Oh, I exclusively use the brinkmann pan. Actually have another as a backup for the exact reasons you stated. My stock pan has never seen action.

Back