Water pan temp and safety rating

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

At this moment I am in the middle of a long, dry water-pan cook.

Having just lit and added a full chimney 5 or 10 minutes ago, and while trying to deal with a temp. spike, i open the door to find what i thought looked like a "litle too much smoke" coming from the dry water-pan, as i had de-greased it very thoroughly prior to the cook.

My question is two-part...

First, to what temperature is the paint on the water-pan rated as safe? (im assuming it's some kind of
hi-temp enamel)

Second, is it safe to cook with a dry-water-pan at all?

Theo,

Yes, it is safe to cook with a dry water pan. The pan is coated in the same porcelain enamel as the rest of the WSM, and is the same material used on all Weber charcoal kettles. Porcelain enamel is a glass-based coating that is generally heat stable to 1000*F. You'd be hard pressed to ever exceed this temperature in your cooker.

Regards,
Chris

so...no specs. huh?

Im going to inspect the pan very carefully,& will post what i find. Speaking as an old oil burner man, paint isnt exactly the hardest thing to burn, even hi-temp. emanels. Im not saying it did burn, just that i will check. I also understand that Weber designed the WSM to use water.

Hi Theo -

The coating on our water pans and the rest of the smoker body is made from porcelain enamel that is fired on at 1500 degrees. Unless you somehow got it that hot, it won't be a problem.

Theo,
One thing to remember is, the water pan in the WSM is also a lid for a Smokey Joe, and they ARE designed for much higher temps than the WSM. By the way, I have yet to burn off any porcelin on my Weber Kettles and the charcoal rests directly on the sides. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back