Water pan question part 2

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
Another thing I have heard is that you should put onions and other fresh spices in the water in your water pan. Does this actually work or is this another myth? Has anyone tried this? What do you guys think?

To my mind, the effects of putting vegetables, wine, beer, (gasp) whiskey, or other liquids besides water in the pan are purely psychologcial. If you firmly believe doing any of these things imparts additional flavors to the final product, then it's the magic bullet that really sets your food apart.

But, if you're like me and think it's so much hokum, then you'll view such exercises as a waste. In spite of all the voodoo attributed to such measures, steam is not a flavoring agent.

That's my one-fiftieth of a dollar's worth of opinion.

Ken

Let's assume that the onions and spices will flavor the meat. The flavor would be in the form of steam or infused with the steam.

If this really worked, I would think that someone would have a device that would cook food with steam and impart flavors at the same time.

Doing web searches on "steam cooking" and "steam flavor" revealed nothing. My conclusion is that putting ingredients in water will not be able to transfer the flavor through the steam generated by the boiling water.

Russell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(gasp) whiskey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
icon_eek.gif

Ken - I can see you jaw hitting the floor as you watch someone pour in half a bottle of JD into a water pan!

Darin - I agree w/ Ken.

When I got my first ECB I did mostly butts for slicing. I always marinaded it in Boone's Farm Sangria and poured the marinade in the pan. If I had them I added sliced oranes onions - wahatever. Now I know I was just young and stupid.

I still add some apple juice but mostly because I like two mop with it and don't drink it so any leftover would be waisted anyway.

Tom

I was going to post a link to the post the other day about this, til I saw it was yours.

If you want to get spices imparted in the food buy dried whole spices and throw them in the fire. You will get flavor from it in the fire. Go to BBQ delight website. They have a savory herb(bottom of page) pellet that has a very good herb flavor. I was surprised til I read here in the forums about putting herbs into the fire for flavor.

Spices, just put 'em in your rub. It'll have more impact on the flavor of the meat.

Alcohol, just put it in you. Same reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Adams:
I always marinaded it in Boone's Farm Sangria
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I haven't heard of Boone's since college. It had quite a reputation...but this is a family board, so I'll leave it at that.
icon_wink.gif

The only Boone's Farm around when I was a kid was the apple. Drank lots of that.

Adding things--liquids or solids--to the waterpan will not impart flavors. Spices added to the fuel, either in pellet form or dried, whole like Jeff notes--whole rosemary branches, bay leaves, whole allspice et al. The flavors imparted this way are different than those added by direct application, as in a rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The only Boone's Farm around when I was a kid was the apple. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man Kevin I hate to ask how long ago that was. I remember when I was a snot nose kid Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill. I thought that stuff had been around since the inception of Boone's Farm. I also remember when Tickle Pink came out. Not explicitly but sometime in the '70s.

I also could tell a story reguarding intoxication and Boone's Farm. It gets a bit messy and not appropriot for a food forum.
icon_wink.gif

Well I wanted to infuse some apple flavor into some venison sausage. I thought apple juice in the water pan. lol Well i checked on it and decided to go to the local veterans club for a soft drink. Came home 20 minutes later and the smoke was rolling out of the smoker and look like a smoker Raichlens PBS show. Went in the house asked the wife what possesed her to add more wood? She said she didn't. Went out checked the smoker and it had boiled dry. Wanna talk about cleaning you water pan, the sausage came out came and then i decided never to do it again.

Putting anything in the water pan is a waste. If you want to impart flavor, boil some apple juice with herbs and spices,cool and strain it then inject it into the meat. Now you have the flavor of your choice. Try any liquid and combination of herbs and spices.

Back