Water, Mop or Not?

Brian Curtis

TVWBB Member
Gary Wiviott in his book "Low and Slow" says to keep the water pan full during the cook with pork ribs, shoulders and chicken. I liked the book and he is certainly no slouch when it comes to barbecue. Is the water just for temp. control or does it help keep the meat a little moister?

Sorry if this has been on here before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Curtis:
Is the water just for temp. control. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Curtis: or does it help keep the meat a little moister? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NONE whatsoever.

yea, i used to use water in my kettles. found that it made no differance when i did not use water. in fact i prefer not using water.

Balast for temp control only. You really can't add moisture using the water pan or with mop for that matter. All mop does is reduce your lid temp and extend your cook time IMHO. It will add some flavor perhaps, but that's just as easily added at the end of the cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and extend your cook time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That it does - if water based. If oil based it can shorten it.

water based can cool the meat through evaporative cooling.

I can't say I know much about Gary, but from the little I've seen and read, he doesn't like to dwell on details. He requires you to follow his directions to a tee with out asking questions. Instructing someone to use water, decreases the chance that they'll screw it up and blame him.

Hey Kevin - I understand what your getting at AFA oil vs. water. But opening the lid to baste/mop will still drop temps and increase overall time since we have to ramp temps back up each time we mop. I guess if you only mop once or twice it doesn't matter all that much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I can't say I know much about Gary, but from the little I've seen and read, he doesn't like to dwell on details. He requires you to follow his directions to a tee with out asking questions. Instructing someone to use water, decreases the chance that they'll screw it up and blame him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian - Just by talking to us you are kicked out of the class
icon_biggrin.gif

Marc- As j notes, water-based bastes cool the meat through evaporative cooling. Oil-based bastes decrease evaporative cooling by creating a barrier. This allows for an increase in meat temp sooner, thus a quicker cook.

Ray- Opening the lid doesn't doesn't have much effect. Sure, if one removes the lid and takes time it could, but the notion one hears about 'every time you remove the lid it adds 15 minutes to cook time' isn't based in reality. Were I basting a couple butts (I never do) I could do it in less than 15 seconds - the same as a turkey, which I do baste.

For basting to be effective as a flavor addition tool it needs to be fairly frequent. (One can cut the frequency if one first concentrates the flavors in the baste, before use.) To be useful as a cooling or heating device it depends on the shape of the meat being mopped (flat surfaces will retain more mop than curved) and the cooktemps being used.

I don't use water in the pan but I do find that when I make memphis style ribs (no sauce), that mopping 2-3 times with a vinegar and mustard mop sauce adds a layer of flavor.

I use a different technique: I spray with 1 part Jack Daniels and 2 parts apple juice. About once and hour starting with the second hour. I find it keeps things moist, adds flavour, and since I like a long smoking time that's not an issue (if it makes a difference at all). So, where does that fall on the scale?

I'm no food scientist, but when you heat meat it's doing it's darndest to expel all the water inside of it. I'm not sure how you can sneak anything in past it. Akin to facing a stampede ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:

I can't say I know much about Gary, but from the little I've seen and read, he doesn't like to dwell on details. He requires you to follow his directions to a tee with out asking questions. Instructing someone to use water, decreases the chance that they'll screw it up and blame him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right, I probably am kicked out of class, but I still liked the book. Pretty difficult to screw anything up following his instructions. And if you are new to smoking and using a WSM I think it's a great book to start with and has some good recipes. Like Gary said, you can change things around once you've got the basics.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Curtis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:

icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your right, I probably am kicked out of class, but I still liked the book. Pretty difficult to screw anything up following his instructions. And if you are new to smoking and using a WSM I think it's a great book to start with and has some good recipes. Like Gary said, you can change things around once you've got the basics. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed - I've done the class a long time ago and bought/like the book a well
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Marc- As j notes, water-based bastes cool the meat through evaporative cooling. Oil-based bastes decrease evaporative cooling by creating a barrier. This allows for an increase in meat temp sooner, thus a quicker cook.

Ray- Opening the lid doesn't doesn't have much effect. Sure, if one removes the lid and takes time it could, but the notion one hears about 'every time you remove the lid it adds 15 minutes to cook time' isn't based in reality. Were I basting a couple butts (I never do) I could do it in less than 15 seconds - the same as a turkey, which I do baste.

For basting to be effective as a flavor addition tool it needs to be fairly frequent. (One can cut the frequency if one first concentrates the flavors in the baste, before use.) To be useful as a cooling or heating device it depends on the shape of the meat being mopped (flat surfaces will retain more mop than curved) and the cooktemps being used. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. When I was basting/mopping I would typically do it every hour or so, and it would take the WSM about 10 minutes at least to come back to temp. Guess I was too slow back then

If you are cooking higher temps, moving fast when you mop, your intervals would be fewer and have less impact I suppose.

Hey Canada Mike - I like your method but I just drink the JD and only use apple juice for the moppin. Seems to treat me kind. : )

I say go ahead and mop, adds flavor. If the temp drops the add a little wood or charcoal.

Back