water in pan ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We can go on and on about H2O vs silica. My question is..
Has anyone tried water and tightly covering with foil? Maybe poking a few holes. Seems like the vapor would naturally recycle. As long as the fat does'nt exceed the brim and cause a fire. Larger hole in the middle?
Just a thought /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

My guess is the steam pressure would rupture the foil. Don't think I'd try this one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Regards,
Chris

Bob,

I think the idea of having water or sand in the water pan is to absorb heat. And thus, help control the temp inside the smoker.

-Albert

Yeah but,
Providing a vent for steam to escape will negate any rupture problems, and if you dish shape the foil the condensate will return to the pan and therefor extend the need to refill. Industrial steam traps come with many orifices of choice to suit a specific need. Larger = less heat retention, smaller means more heat retention in the system before venting.
Damn, I sound like an engineer!
After all, it's only "q".
What was I thinking? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Pardon the ramblings, but I guess I an unanswered question with using sand or the idea of covering the water. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Water in the pan acts as a heat sink by using some of the energy to vaporize. Once sand is up to some stable temp, isn't the heat flux in and out the same, i.e., the sand isn't getting any hotter and it's not changing phase. I guess it will still buffer any rapid changes up or down. Is that the point?

I guess covering the water with foil would be different to some degree since the heat of vaporization is greater than the heat of condensation, so even vaporizing and recondensing would use heat.

Please someone explain both in the cooking sense and the thermodynamic sense the difference between water, water covered with foil, and sand...or I guess everyone can just try all three and see what works best for them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I wonder...water becomes steam....which adds moisture to the heat....better for smoking? If you cover the water somewhat it may last longer but will it effect the moisture in the smoker? I say water is cheap, add water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back