Water Heater Jacket question

Does it have a heat rating? I'm thinking that vinyl MAY be able to stand 200, but I'm not sure. I'd return and look for double-sided foil (so you don't get fiberglass particles flying around).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Rickert:
The heat rating is R6.9. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats the insulation factor, not what he means. He wants to know how much heat the vinyl can take. I would see if you can find the double sided foil.

Keep in mind, if your heat got away from you, you could have some hot temps, well above the 250º you plan on having.

That's kind of what I figured, which is why I never opened it. I'll take it back tomorrow and check out a couple other local hardware stores to see what they have. It's hard to find the right product here in the ozarks, mainly it's bait, boats and Branson.

I work with plastics and most extruded plastics are melted in the 350 degree range. As long as its on the outside of the insulation it will work. It didn't cost too much did it? I say give it a try if you didn't pay too much for it.

I once had a cooker that was a commercial freezer and used the original plastic door gasket and neve r had a problem with the plastic.
icon_smile.gif

It was cheap enough. $17. I've got one more local store to check and if there isn't a foil backed one to be found, I thought I'd go to plywood, but maybe I'll give this a try. Sounds like the only problem would be a hot cook.

Bill,

I don't know if anyone suggested this option or not. To insulate any "bullet" shaped cooker. Purchase a 4x8 sheet of rigid styrofoam, a second if needed, cut 4 pieces to create a square/box open at each end. They can be glued, taped, together. Leaving a gap of about 4 inchs all the way around. This creates a great wind stopper and insulates, but allows air flow to occur. Then, simply lift off to fuss with the cooker if need be. I think they even make the rigid styrofoam with a side aluminized which would reflect infrared energy back at the cooker. As long as the aluminized side was placed inside the "box".

I resolved my problem today. My wife had a Dr appt in Springfield and I stopped at HD and purchased the foil backed water jacket. I also picked up 48 lbs of kingsford for 12 bucks. When I was younger, I had a smokey joe or a cheap grill and bought maybe 15 or 20lbs of charcoal a year. I now have 108 lbs stored and not sure that will last the winter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Rickert:
I resolved my problem today. My wife had a Dr appt in Springfield and I stopped at HD and purchased the foil backed water jacket. I also picked up 48 lbs of kingsford for 12 bucks. When I was younger, I had a smokey joe or a cheap grill and bought maybe 15 or 20lbs of charcoal a year. I now have 108 lbs stored and not sure that will last the winter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My HD had the double bags for $7.99. Maybe I need to get a couple more. I need to get a jacket anyway.

How much was your jacket?

The jacket was 20 bucks. I just finished taping the edges with aluminum tape. Now I've got to figure out to fit it to the WSM. Our HD had the sale on earlier in the year, but now it's $11.99 for two 24 lb bags. My local Walmart is selling 20 lbs for around $6.80 and they were on sale earlier for $4.99. Missed both sales. I will be more alert in the future. Like I said earlier, this is a continuous learning process.

I decided to go with the BRITU. I did put two slabs back and am in the process of cooking two now. Good thing I got the foil backed heater jacket yesterday, winds are at least 15mph and gusting. Have had many interruptions and way behind schedule, but things are progressing. I have a few questions come up so far I thought I'd throw out.

1. I seem to burn a lot of fuel in the chimney waiting for all to ash over. With the wind today, should I have dumped early?

2. I used the standard method for firing up. When wood became fully engulfed, I assembled the smoker. At that time, I put the wind break (heater jacket) on. Should I have been using it from the beginning?

3. My jacket does not seem as sturdy (stiff?) as some 0f the pictures I've seen on this site. I have a clip on the top and bottom but leaves a 3 or 4 inch gap between the seems. I figure I'm still protected 98% around and I do need some air, so I'm not worried. Should I get some velcro to seal it the rest of the way?

4. I'm in my hour burn before adding the meat. I left the vents wide open (with the wind breaker in place). I'm setting at 295*-300* at the grate. Should I have started adjusting vents during this period? The instructions I've read really doesn't specify.

5. I'm using Chigger Creek smoke wood. I can get this wood in Springfield (50 miles) and they are located in MO so a 40lb shipment will only cost around $13. They have what I consider pretty small chunks and I use 3 or 4 to equate to recipes I use. Does anyone have any experience with this company? I've had good luck but I wonder if the small chunks burn faster and will use more wood in the long run?

These are all pretty minor points, but I thought they might generate a little conversaion which is always good - or not.

Back