Warning: Chimneys and Flip Flops Don't mix

Al, did that one too. Not pleasant at all, I was at work and it was Habenero's instead of Jalopenia's.

Wound up raising the seat in the bathroom stall and stratigically placing some toilet papper and sitting directly into a fresh flush of water! sounds ebarresing I know, but when that part of the anatomy is on fire from habenero juice, it's supprising how much humiliation one can endure for the sake of relief.

3 yrs later and I still get teased about that at work. They refer to it as "Joe's reverse swirly" or "The Pepper Plunge" or "The Habenero Flush". One janitor even posted a sign on the stall door saying "no Bathing Allowed".

Joe

Joe,

Habaneros are the worst of all peppers. At a beer bash a couple years ago, a colleague brought in some habaneros and cut them up in ever so tiny pieces.

When he let us try one of these pepper flecks as some called it, he mentioned to wash your hands. I could not believe how hot that little pepper fleck was, and I like hot stuff.

Not paying attention, went along with beer bash, and about 2-3 hours later I was sitting at the computer reading some email...casually rubbed my eye, not thinking about it...I thought my eyeball was gonna fall out of the socket...

Habaneros are not to be taken lightly.
icon_eek.gif

I still remember a time when I was 19 or so, at my uncles house, and making chili. It was my first experience with Habaneros. I knew how hot they were. I was trying a new method of taming the heat, and trying to retain some of the flavor. So I used a bit of bacon fat drippings, to saute a diced onion, and a diced up Habanero, along with a bit of garlic. I originally sweated them in a skillet with the lid on. When I went to lift the lid and stir them, I got a big billow of steam in the face. I think I know what its like to be pepper sprayed now. The burn lasted for only about 10 minutes, but I couldn't stop the tearing of my eyes. Nasty, stupid mistake.

Chili was good though...

thanks for your post- It has made me be more "safety' conscience. All accidents are preventable is what they preach to us at work. The chance taker is the accident maker! As the saying goes- Safety First!

Call me stubborn, I just started my chimney with birks on...

Now where's those Habaneros, I think I'll rub them in my eyes...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow! I did the flip flop thing just this morning! 7 am start to get a wet rub brisket going. Funnier part? Yes I had shorts on.. but I did have a welding glove on to protect my hand! Hah!

OUCH on the halapeno story! I have peeled them and had my hands burn for 3 days, but don't recall how I avoided that pain.

Back