Warming Pulled Pork

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Having an independent streak, I often do things the way I reason they should be...done.
Well, after reading for years about warning pork slowly in a low oven-325 with just a little moisture added, I have to say this is superior to my way of using the microwave. I used a low pan with the Q spread evenly and thinly for a quick warmup. This is a very good method if you have not tried it. For moisture I used a little homemade sauce and covered tightly with foil.

I reheated pork in a 400 degree oven lat time I had a crowd to feed. I was leery of the temp being high, but it turned out great. I added some liquid to the pan...I believe it was a combo of sauce, chicken broth and some apple juice.

Biggest mistake I have made in the past was putting too much meat in one dish. Now, I spread out smaller amounts into several pans. Helps keep the meat warm as guests often don't eat all at once.

I'm thinking a cookie sheet might work well for this? I myself am guilty of using the microwave, maybe I could find room in my kitchen for a dedicated cookie sheet for reheating.

I always like my pp better the next day, I believe Steve commented on this in another post. Because the senses are so overwhelmed by the smoke and other scents going on the day of the cook, it seems you can get a much better idea of the taste the day after. Why mess this up by nukeing the meat.....something to think about.

Brandon

Steve, have done both the oven and microwave. Prefer"nuking" it. Quicker and keeps the product moist.

I have read that people who freeze pulled pork in vacuum sealed bags use boiling water to reheat it. Any downside to using the same method for pork that's been in the fridge?

My favorite to reheat small quantities are in my non-stick skillets. I put the meat and a litle of my sauce in there, get it sizzling, toss it a couple times, and then ready to go. It takes very little time, plus you can carmelize the sauce a little. For large quantities, I do the oven as well.

I have had success with putting in the cold and/or frozen pulled pork (taken from the cryovac) and putting some Q sauce on it. Then I put it in the crock pot on low and my guests are ready to eat in about 2 hrs and it keeps all day

I use the vac sealed bag in boiling water method and it works great. The reasons are; relatively low heat (212) and the sealed environment does not let the meat dry out.
The PP is already cooked so it does not need high heat which could dry the meat out. You just want to bring the meat up to serving temp; 120ish. Even in a micro, you can experience the 'dry outer edges' if you let it go too long. Stir occasionally and add a little liquid to help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
I have read that people who freeze pulled pork in vacuum sealed bags use boiling water to reheat it. Any downside to using the same method for pork that's been in the fridge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I do. I'll even cook two butts at once and freeze what we don't eat. I put a cup or two in each bag and, vacuum pack and freeze. Boiling in the bag keeps the moisture in the meat. It always comes out tasty.

When reheating leftovers still in the fridge, I use our toaster oven. It works quite well.

I actually take mine out of the vacuum sealed bag and warm it up slowly in a covered pan on the stovetop with a couple of tablespoons of apple juice. For large amounts I do the same in a baking dish in the oven covered with aluminum foil. It seems to come out just as tender as when I first take it off the WSM.

Dumb question...I don't have a FoodSaver, but frequently use Ziploc bags for freezing / refrigerating. I'm assuming that i can't use the boiling water method with the normal Ziploc bags. Knowing that, is the best way either low heat in the microwave or low heat in the oven with a little liquid added.

Back