Walnut update

DaveB

TVWBB Member
A while back we were talking about walnut for smoke wood. I smoked up a chicken and 8 slabs, low and slow with straight walnut. It was very good on the ribs, a bit too strong for the chicken. But, since the chicken was going into jambalya, it turned out perfect for the dish. I've alway been of the opinion that matching wood smoke flavor to the type of critter you cook is a bit too difficult for me. I like to describe various woods by the strength of the smoke flavor. Apple, one of the lightest. Next would come cherry, a little sweet and a nice color. Oak, pecan are right in the middle for strength. Hickory was always a strong as I wanted to go, with mesquite on the top of the list of strength. Now that I've tried walnut a few times, I'm putting it right between hickory and mesquite.
If you are not getting enough smoke flavor with hickory, try some walnut. It might get you there.

Someone gave me some black walnut, but it was too small to really use for smoking. I'm going to try to get some bigger chunks and try it.

I have trued a lot of woods. I definitely am not a huge fan of mesquite for smoking. However, I have had good success when grilling with mesquite chunks instead of charcoal.

Mesquite is a strong wood - a little goes a long way. I use a little on fowl.

I have used black walnut and found it relatively mild.

I highly recommend cherry for fish. I've done tests using various smoking woods and found cherry goes very well with salmon and tilapia.

I use apple, hickory and maple on pork.

I'll also mix oak and maple in with others. Except for smoking wood tests, I usually use a mix of two to four types of wood. I don't know that it produces better results, but I feel smarter when I do that.
icon_wink.gif

Hank, I switched exclusively to Sugar Maple for my Salmon. I did it once for the guys at work and the went nuts and said it was the best I ever made. Up to that point I used stronger woods and the same brines etc. Once switching to the Sugar Maple the comments went way up and about my last 10 Salmon smokes have used it. Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveB:
A while back we were talking about walnut for smoke wood. I smoked up a chicken and 8 slabs, low and slow with straight walnut. It was very good on the ribs, a bit too strong for the chicken. But, since the chicken was going into jambalya, it turned out perfect for the dish. I've alway been of the opinion that matching wood smoke flavor to the type of critter you cook is a bit too difficult for me. I like to describe various woods by the strength of the smoke flavor. Apple, one of the lightest. Next would come cherry, a little sweet and a nice color. Oak, pecan are right in the middle for strength. Hickory was always a strong as I wanted to go, with mesquite on the top of the list of strength. Now that I've tried walnut a few times, I'm putting it right between hickory and mesquite.
If you are not getting enough smoke flavor with hickory, try some walnut. It might get you there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks someone gave me a lifetime supply I'm drying!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken Serwatowski:
Hank, I switched exclusively to Sugar Maple for my Salmon. I did it once for the guys at work and the went nuts and said it was the best I ever made. Up to that point I used stronger woods and the same brines etc. Once switching to the Sugar Maple the comments went way up and about my last 10 Salmon smokes have used it. Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hi Ken,
I've had good results with maple in general. Have you tried cherry and compared?

Do you have any thoughts on sugar maple vs. other maple? I have both box elder (actually a maple) and silver maple.

thanks,
hank

Walnut is strong, but it's my favorite on beef ribs and tri tip. I am a fan of mesquite also. I like the strong citrusy flavor it gives especially on Mexican dishes. My favorite wood to use with salmon and cornish hens is manzanita. I gather it whenever I walk to the park up the street. Try it with some chicken to test it. You won't be disapointed.

I smoked a beef shoulder clod with mesquite, and it frankly rocked. It does not smell as fine as hickory during the smoke, but what it does to the taste of beef is really really nice!

Back