Walmart Brisket

G

Sorry this is kinda dumb question from a newby. Is anyone aware of what the grade is of brisket sold at walmart? I can't find it anywwhere on the package. It is a full packer brisket, in cryovac that I got from the regular meat case, not special request from the meat man.

Bish
I don't know what grade those briskets are, but I have cooked a lot of those from WM and they turn out fine. I suspect that was about $1.79/lb?
I like to rinse mine before trimming, rubbing and cooking.
I have had best brisket results when using a water pan and a dome temp of about 250.
Good luck cooking that bad boy.
And just remember: "Brisket is a destination. You will know when you get there."

That's the only place I've ever bought mine. They can get as low as .89lb in the summer. One hint, don't pick the biggest one you can find. I have come to realize that the smaller ones turn out more tender and take a little less time to cook as they are smaller and weigh less. If you can smoke one of these monsters, you can do anything.

Yesterday, I bought a small brisket ($ 5.50 about 3 or 4 lbs) at Wal Mart called a "Corned Beef Brisket". Also in the package is a separate spice packet with peppercorns etc. Would you just smoke this brisket, or do I have to soak it first? It says on the wrapper that it is injected with a salt solution.

Rusty

Thanks for the replies. This is going to be my first cook. I may hold off and do the butt I bought first since I keep reading how forgiving they are, or who knows maybe I'll throw em both on there!!! My WSM should be arriving tomorrow from amazon and as you can tell I just don't know where to begin!

Originally posted by Rusty Barton:
Yesterday, I bought a small brisket ($ 5.50 about 3 or 4 lbs) at Wal Mart called a "Corned Beef Brisket". Also in the package is a separate spice packet with peppercorns etc. Would you just smoke this brisket, or do I have to soak it first? It says on the wrapper that it is injected with a salt solution.

Rusty
Rusty - either boil that bad boy for corned beef or soak it then rub it and smoke it for pastrami.

Bish,
Throw em both on and make the most of the coal and chunks. Brisket is also very forgiving............it's just takes a great deal of time. Just monitor smoker temp and meat temp and you will be fine. I would recommend a good wireless therm to monitor progress from indoors.

Wally world is the only place I have found that I can buy whole brisket around here. Sams has flats but full packers from wally are about the same price.

I did order a brisket from a meat market a couple of years ago. I paid about twice what walmart charged. I don't know what grade they are but they sure are good.

Rusty, definately soak that puppy. I usually shoot for 2 hours with at least 3 water changes. If you end up liking that you should click the cooking topics above and cure your own pastrami. The thing I like best is making a whole flat as opposed to the 1/4 flat they pre package.

Rusty,

Please give us all an update on how your Corned Beef Brisket comes out. Never thought about smoking this meat as an option but would be curious on how it came out. Inquiring minds want to know?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks everyone for info on how to prepare the corned beef brisket.

Mike, I plan to smoke the corned beef brisket this weekend. I'll give an update then.

Rusty

WM here is likely to have either, or both at the same time. They will be priced the same. I got a few choice the other day. Sam's is almost always select.

Where I live wm sells select only as far as Ive seen. I have quit buying meat from them but I cant get my wife to stop going there. She isnt into cooking like I am and doesnt know the difference between prime, choice, or select. She really doesnt care either. Blasphemy!
If you guys have success with select all I can say is bravo!

I have not seen anything other than a select at Walmart, for those that are marked..many of then have no marking as to what they are, but you have to think they are selects.

Super-Wally here in Southern California usually has select, but I've also seen choice there. If you cook them right, they turn out fine.

Originally posted by M. Chesney:
Rusty,

Please give us all an update on how your Corned Beef Brisket comes out. Never thought about smoking this meat as an option but would be curious on how it came out. Inquiring minds want to know?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I soaked the 3-lb corned beef brisket about 3-hours. I changed the water about 3-times. I dried it off and placed it in a stainless steel bowl and coated it with dry rub.

I used the BRITU dry rub from this website (substituted dry mustard for the MSG that I didn't have and Dollar Store seasoning salt for table salt). Coated both sides of the corned beef brisket with the dry rub and placed it in the fridge overnight.

I fired up the WSM at 7:00am by the Minion method and placed the corned beef brisket on the bottom rack, fat side up. I added 4-lbs of chicken thighs to the top rack because they would be done first. The water pan was filled with cold water. All of the meat was cold from the fridge. I assembled the WSM and placed about a cup of soaked hickory chips on the coals. I used a full ring of SAMs charcoal from Walmart ($ 4.85 for 18-lbs). I used my Maverick 73 to monitor temperatures. I started out with the 3 bottom vents opened 50% and the top vent fully open. It took about 1/2 hour to come up to temperature. The temperature topped out at 250F and stayed there for 7-hours. When it started to drop slightly at that point, I opened the vents all the way. The corned beef brisket was 180F at that point. It reached 190F about 9-hours into the cook. I took it out and placed it in foil to rest for an hour. (I took out the chicken thighs after about the first 3-hours.) I sliced the corned beef brisket and it is tender and tastes like pastrami! I left the WSM running with all vents wide open to see how long it would go on the full ring of Sams charcoal. So far it's been 10-hours and the top grill temp is still 246F.

I'll be making one of these again.

I should add, it was about 65F outside this morning when I started and about 85F when I finished. There was little or no wind today.

Rusty

The last one I got at Sams about a week ago was a choice. It turned out very good using the hi-temp method.

Rusty,

Thanks for passing your detialed instructions on how to prepare the brisket. I will give it a try since I love pastrami. Also very impressive results with SAMs charcoal.

Mike

Back