Vortex

When using vortex do you rub with oil or butter to achieve crispy outer skin?
I air dried the chicken for 24 hours. I did spray a light coating of cooking spray to allow the seasoning to adhere to. I believe the air drying in conjunction with the high temperature generated by the Vortex is what makes the difference.

I’ve got to try this! Can only hope to have such nice results as you had
Humberto,
Welcome, the key to so many of our success with skin on bone in chicken pieces is the vortex!

VORTEX (IN)DIRECT HEAT for Charcoal Grills, Medium Size - For Weber Kettle 22 26.75 WSM Smokey Mountain XL Kamado XL Big Green Egg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGDBLF2/?tag=tvwb-20

Check out this one of many threads on the topic here.

I, like most of us, use mine on my 22.5 inch kettles, but here is a video of Phil in Flourance using the vortex in the WSM.

The vortex creates the movement of heat, air, and smoke that creates indirect/higher heat to cook the chicken without burning it. The temp on the lid is 650, but the temp at grate level with the chicken is somewhere 450 plus. I have a lot of add on tools for my kettles, but my vortex would be the last one I would part with.

Looks like I’m gonna have to get another gizmo for my webers!
I have order two none name brand Vortex from Amazon at half the price as the name brand. Both work great and both have been great quality. The one I would recommend is not available right now so I don't want to put that link in. If you go with a none name brand just make sure the dimensions line up to that of the medium vortex not the same vortex if you are going to use it for a 22 in kettle or 22 in WSM.

the QuliMetal I bought is 12 inch diameter on the bottom, 8 on the top. same as the vortex medium.

Not sure about the others, this is the first and only one I've ever used.

Back